Returning after awhile, with a few questions (gfx n SL)

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Arkhandroid

Returning after awhile, with a few questions (gfx n SL)

Post by Arkhandroid » Mon May 30, 2011 7:51 pm

Sorry if this stuff is answered somewhere already. If it is just slap me in the face and direct me to it. I searched and didn't come up with much.

I recently came back to AO. Last time I played, I got to level 66 as a Fixer.

I reactivated and started a new Fixer up on Jobe. So my question here is,

should I be screwing around in Jobe, or am I better off jumping off and landing back on Rubi-Ka and doing the subways/that dungeon in the omni tek town/etc. ?

I don't remember a lot of the details so I am getting reoriented with everything. I'm also reading info on this site and figuring out what the hell is going on (the games massive!)

My other question relates to graphics.

I'm running this on:

Phenom II 1065T
8gb RAM
GTX 470
Windows 7

I have been screwing with graphics settings for days trying to get it to run well. I've tried 1920x1080x32, and some other settings... but it still seems to run choppy at times.

and, the mouse is almost always sluggish. I am sort of confused as to why it's doing that.

I turned off Aero, desktop composition, and DPI scaling (running in XP compatibility mode). It seemed to help a bit with the crispness (I suspect windowed mode was rendering in something lower than 1920x1080 and then scaling itself up)...

but the mouse is still sluggish. I tried the mouse-lag fix option. It didn't help any.

Is there something I missed? A patch, a specific setting? I was hoping I could run AO on full blown settings if I can run newer games on full blown settings!

Thanks, and I'm excited to be back!

EDIT: also , apparently the game wont run in fullscreen for me.

It just sits there and does nothing... :-/

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Mon May 30, 2011 9:21 pm

You might be throwing the whole thing off trying to set the screen size the way you are. I've looked around a lot lately because I got a new monitor and the response is that you can't set the game resolution higher than what the game allows in the drop down list. Maybe trying to force it is messing with something. If I'm wrong here, I'd be glad for someone to point out where I can get info about increasing the resolution.

With that system, you shouldn't really be having issues, though I've heard that some newer graphics cards can mess up the textures on terrain.

As for the rest!

You should definitely stick to jobe to get the starter area items. Even people that start on ICC island usually go there after if they have SL to grab the starter goodies. SL is still a faster leveling area compared to RK, but there are still some things you need to come back to RK for such as the subway, Temple of Three Winds, Foreman's, etc. The items you get there are still invaluable to your leveling process.

Trying to stick only to SL or only to RK unless you're a froob, is like only reading half of a book. You'll still get the general idea of the game but you'll be missing out on a lot of the detail and stuff that makes it interesting.

If you sort the guides by level range, you can get a pretty good idea of what to do in each area from level to level, but it's always up to you and what your preferred play style is. Some people now are sticking mostly to daily missions and DOJA chips because of the reward being far greater than the effort.

Arkhandroid

Post by Arkhandroid » Mon May 30, 2011 9:58 pm

Silvana wrote:You might be throwing the whole thing off trying to set the screen size the way you are. I've looked around a lot lately because I got a new monitor and the response is that you can't set the game resolution higher than what the game allows in the drop down list. Maybe trying to force it is messing with something. If I'm wrong here, I'd be glad for someone to point out where I can get info about increasing the resolution.

With that system, you shouldn't really be having issues, though I've heard
that some newer graphics cards can mess up the textures on terrain.
1920x1080 is available in the dropdown. A bunch of wonky resolutions are! I gave up and dropped it to 1280x720 windowed mode. It runs perfect.
You should definitely stick to jobe to get the starter area items. Even people that start on ICC island usually go there after if they have SL to grab the starter goodies. SL is still a faster leveling area compared to RK, but there are still some things you need to come back to RK for such as the subway, Temple of Three Winds, Foreman's, etc. The items you get there are still invaluable to your leveling process.
Yeah, the temple of the 3 winds!

I did the starter quests in Jobe, and walked out and did the one right outside Jobe research (kill 10 chimeras and horsethings).

I've been running in circles trying to remember wtf is going on. I remember the two gardens, and getting a key to one, and then making the mistake of joining a heckler party and jumping like 25 levels without learning anything.

My old fixer has the predator armor on, a perennium beamer, and some other stuff. I am going to mail it to the new one and start over.

I'm around level 10. What would you suggest I do to kickstart my memory? Jump down and swim (I always land in water when I jump off of Jobe) to the subway?

and what about joining Clan or OT? my old fixer was clan given the fact shes got on a key thats not-omni, and I recall starting in the Clan town.

thanks for your assistance. :D This games got alot of stuff to take in.

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Mon May 30, 2011 11:45 pm

It's easier to get to the subway if you go back through Jobe to the platform and use the whompa to Rome ;) It really depends on what side you pick, if you pick a side of course. Rome = Omni, Borealis = Neutral, and West Athen = Clan.

They each have their own version of the Subway area not too far away from the main area. That's a good place to start.

Your choice of joining a side or not joining a side is an important one because of xp bonuses to the sides being different, your access to shops and marketplace chats are restricted unless you're neutral, those things of things. It can also make quests harder if the side you've chosen has opposing forces in the area you need to go to.

Arkhandroid

Post by Arkhandroid » Tue May 31, 2011 1:03 am

I think I will stay neutral. Borealis is where I remember playing most. I checked, my last fixer was Neutral.

I got on my old fixer and condensed my bank down onto my person... and then realized I can't mail multiple items to new fixer *facepalm*

this may take awhile :D

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Tue May 31, 2011 1:27 am

You can always roll a froob to use as a mule between other characters and/or as a bank ;)

Arkhandroid

Post by Arkhandroid » Tue May 31, 2011 2:15 am

Silvana wrote:You can always roll a froob to use as a mule between other characters and/or as a bank ;)
thats what I am getting ready to do. :D

Dual wielding AO clients!

Hope it turns out good.

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Tue May 31, 2011 2:57 am

I did it a few months back with a computer that's 11-ish years old now without any problems. You should be safe ;)

Arkhandroid

Post by Arkhandroid » Tue May 31, 2011 5:44 am

were good! subways after work tomorrow!!!! \o/

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue May 31, 2011 10:28 am

With a little checking, your Phenom II 1065T is a quad core I believe? I heard something a while ago about quad cores, occasionally a program will look at a quad core and only see one of the cores and think that's it's limit, I've not heard of this happening for AO but then I'm not particularly technical (software hates me). AO relies mostly on your CPU and not so much on your graphics card, so this may be an issue (I have a dual core and I can log 6 instances of AO so long as I go in window mode and minimise all the ones except the one I'm using).

As for the 1920x1080 screen rez, I have an CRT monitor and the highest option I get is 1600x1200 damnit! :( lol.

I didn't notice if you mentioned what internet connection you have, ADSL, Cable or Satalite?
Is your mouse wireless?
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

BerraLJ

Post by BerraLJ » Tue May 31, 2011 12:14 pm

running 2 ao instances works rather okey on my dual core amd, i do have 8 gig ram and i guess that helps and graphics card is an nvidia gtx295, i use 1280 * 1024 res which works nicely, tend to alt-tab between the windows but mostly use it for buffing or pulling le / team missions :)

Arkhandroid

Post by Arkhandroid » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:22 pm

The 1065T is a 6 core processor.

and the gtx470 should be more than enough for 1920x1080 smoothly with AO.

I'm running on 64bit windows 7, so I am wondering if maybe theres some weird issues going on with AO running on 64 bit Windows 7...

it runs fine in 1280x720 (widescreen monitor), so I can't complain a ton... id just really like full screen.

Im on cable, and refuse to use wireless mice. I have a razer krait.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:15 pm

As I say, AO doesn't have a great deal to do with your graphics card, it makes your CPU do all the work.

Since it's a 6core, it may be that AO isn't seeing your CPUs full potential, I think sending a mail to techsupport may be your best option at this point.
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Arkhandroid

Post by Arkhandroid » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:09 pm

Snakebite wrote:As I say, AO doesn't have a great deal to do with your graphics card, it makes your CPU do all the work.

Since it's a 6core, it may be that AO isn't seeing your CPUs full potential, I think sending a mail to techsupport may be your best option at this point.

Oh, I forgot about that. Kind of like FFXI back in the day. It ran at full settings with a 64mb piece of crap card as long as your CPU could tear it up...

I will send them a tech support for sure.

thanks for the idea :D

xyz123abc

Post by xyz123abc » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:34 am

if you have a multiple core cpu, in windows, you can assign one instance of anarchy online to a different core. under the task manager, select the ao instance, menu click and select affinity. there you select the core to which you want it assigned.

i dont know why, i have experienced that mouse lag when dual boxing, but only on icc shuttleport. i have no idea why only there

it might help you to start from 1024x728 and go up, only picking standard resolutions