been a while returning as Froob, questions

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

xaatxuun

been a while returning as Froob, questions

Post by xaatxuun » Wed May 18, 2011 6:51 am

I was not able to log in to the AO forums with my old account, was going to start fresh with a new one anyways.
but it will not allow me to register for the forums, sez I don't have permission, so currently waiting on their Live chat it's been over 15 minutes going on 20, still no one seems alive there :?

so my first question is did they changed something, since my old account(s) have no permission, and even a new account has no permission, How am I going to get to return and Play again ?

Edit: this in color part has been answered now, after 25 minutes someone was alive and came on live chat to answer that question, unfortunately they could not do anything about the forum part of the problem

Next question
How much has changed in the past 3 years ? ( I seem to take 3 year breaks from AO, Last time was 3 yrs too :oops: )

I could not recall which classes a Froob can start and can not start, could you list them for me ? Thx :wink:

oh and past that 20 minute mark :( Guess there is no live chat or someone fell asleep monitoring it :shock:

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Wed May 18, 2011 7:58 am

It's hard to recall exactly what changed and when after having been around for so long, it all kind of blurs together. The Legacy of the Xan expansion was in that time frame though. A lot of high level encounters came with that one.

As for professions, you can play as any of them as a froob except for Shade and Keeper since they are Shadowlands specific.

xaatxuun

Post by xaatxuun » Wed May 18, 2011 8:47 am

cool thank you Silvana :)

How many characters can I create on one account ? I forgot

I was thinking of starting with a Engineer, I think they were very newbie safe, but I wanted to go with a Crat, But I think they were less newbie friendly, tho I'm not actually a newb, it's just been a while, so basically starting Newb again.
I have others to play with already, so they could help with gear and such if I start a crat.

Going through the guides now, going to read through the Crat, Eng., and Fixer will be starting with one of those, oh and possibly a Trader too, I always had a Trader :D

So far the guides I've read from the AO Official forums, those were written like 8 years ago :shock: , not sure how accurate they will still be or reliable.

last time I was playing, The Legacy of the Xan Booster was not out yet, but I did have a active account, just no Computer to play, kinda bytes too, because there was 10 months left on one of the Subs I had, but I do believe it came out shortly after my Misfortune.

this is going to be tough , because MA's were also very stout, that if I remember right even a poorly built MA did ok.

So everything is going to be the Same (it sounds like it) as it was since the last I played.

Oh the big question and most important one I need to Know

What is the size of the Download ?

thank you :)

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Wed May 18, 2011 8:55 am

You get 8 characters per account.

All of those are good, but like you said, none of them are very newbie friendly. Not just because of gear, but because of how much you have to spend in credits keeping up with your nanos :)

An MA is a good choice for starting up again and having a cheap and powerful solo toon that will let you get re-acclimated to the game.

I think with all the update patches the game comes in somewhere around 1.7GB.

xaatxuun

Post by xaatxuun » Wed May 18, 2011 9:25 am

thank you on the size, I'm on a satellite connection that comes with a FAP (Fair Access Policy) meaning I'm limited to how much bandwidth I can use in a timed period.
I just want to make sure I won't go over it so I can give my friends a time frame when to be looking for me :lol:

xaatxuun

new question

Post by xaatxuun » Wed May 18, 2011 3:17 pm

on the bad comp the game is still there, and the computer will start, maybe long enough to update.
So would there be too much for it to update ? I mean if it's a smaller file to update, then down loading that would save a lot of Bandwidth usage and I could just copy the folder to the Machine that does work

or bad idea :oops:

Update: the dead machine is not staying on long enough to update, so going to copy what do have and transfer over to a machine that does work.
last version I had was 18.0.1

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Wed May 18, 2011 7:48 pm

Latest version is 18.4.4 so you'll still have a bit to download if you can copy the rest over. Probably about 400mb. Better than the whole thing though ;)

xaatxuun

Post by xaatxuun » Wed May 18, 2011 8:11 pm

yeah, I had to copy what I had, then used a working machine to update, updating now. Looks like it's going to be a lil while longer but still a week to a month sooner :lol: then I thought.

I was looking through the patches and adding in my head how much, it'll cut down the down load by 1/5th. Saying I did good math :oops:

what was worth getting from starter Island ? since I'm staying neut, I can't remember if there was anything, I was just going to jump on over to the Back yards .. hope they are still there, I liked them a whole lot more.

Sure will miss the SL starter area, nice stuff from there, that's the only thing I dislike being on a FROOB account, zero SL time

the last MA I was working on but only got started on it, was a Bow MA, are they still good with the Bow ? wouldn't mind doing that attempt again, kinda would like to finish what I had started but starting over is just as good here, since last time I don't think I was 20 yet, was working on his Implants, never got them finished.

edit: I just remembered while I was reading a BOW MA guide, that it wasn't a Bow MA (tho I did plan on one) it was a Bow MP that I had

Update: yeah, I need to relearn the movement , I was like all over the place, so will stay on the starter Island a little longer then planned just to be safe.
Silvana wrote:Latest version is 18.4.4 so you'll still have a bit to download if you can copy the rest over. Probably about 400mb. Better than the whole thing though ;)
after everything was done, less then 400, but more then 360 :lol: took longer then I thought.
This will save me a lot of bandwidth usage.

Arkhandroid

Post by Arkhandroid » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:24 pm

sorry for the thread hijack.

is Legacy of Xan something I have to pay for? am I missing out without it?

last I remember was doing the 20$ all expansions upgrade years ago.