No more ingots!

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

This is a good thing?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 18

Satertek

No more ingots!

Post by Satertek » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:34 pm

Not sure whether to be happy or sad about this, they were easy money, but also brought alot of idiot farmers.

Ingots were pretty much my only source of income for the past while though, hope they come though with the other ways to make credits.

Thoughts?

Nyton

Post by Nyton » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:16 pm

Considering people were able to make money before the Shadowlands, and fr00bs don't harvest ingots for money I don't think there needs to be anything new to make money.

Satertek

Post by Satertek » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:06 pm

I think the best thing they could do would to allow froobs to buy from player shops, theres alot of credits the (paying) customers could make off of them. It would also help to balance out the economy a little.

Xitami

Post by Xitami » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:49 pm

I think it's awesome, friend of mine is regularly in Elysium, and he said on the phone the other day that 90% of the people there seem to be macro'ing their little hearts out just farming ingots by the dozen.

The same people then turn around and sell creds on eBay. Now I don't mind making a good buck, but damn, I see people popping out with a few million to buy something that didn't cost but half a million back before NW.

It's pretty rough on new players and froobs to enter into that economy. It's pretty much a requirement these days to follow the "make s***loads of money fast" guides on the AO forums these days in order to just keep up with what the economy is doing. Beyond that, in order to make money, you need to fit yourself with the right implants, the right equipment, and put IP into predetermined "templates" so you too can be ubar and make much money.

That just isn't my playstyle. Don't get me wrong, I like to hear that little levelling jingle, but if I need to buy weapon A, put IP into C, D, and E, and don't forget to try and cram yourself into QL40 implants at level 20... that just takes the fun out of it, in my (sometimes not so) humble opinion.

Besides, plenty of ways to make cash still, and if it drops prices a little in the economy, all the better.

(monster post approaching quick here)

On a tangent, they did something similar in EVE Online a year back, there too the economy was spinning out of control due to the huge influx of money, and for a while everyone bitched and moaned and whined, but it did sort-of "recover" the economy back to a point where even new players could afford certain things, and at some point had it -easier- than those that went before them.

So anything that makes low levels a bit easier and makes higher levels more interesting is a good thing in my book.

Boinky

Post by Boinky » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:58 pm

It's essentially a good thing, though may have been better to just limit it to Ely as that's where the problem was with the farmers. And besides they have mentioned a new way to get creds to replace it in some way so everyone isn't completely out of luck. Not to mention there are many other ways to earn creds anyway.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:56 pm

I've tried sugesting this a few times to different ppl, but it never seems to go far enough or get to the right ppl...

My sugestion:
DON'T Nerf ingots at all, leave them at the old (huge) price but limit the droprates by player lvl...

What I mean is that any team that has a player in it over a certain lvl (example lvl120) gets a significantly lower droprate of ingots...

You could also work it so that the more ppl over the target lvl, the lower the droprate until you hit 0% chance.

& of course, solo players over the target lvl get 0%.

Now lvl120 in Ely was just an example, if I was in control I'd be inclined to limit the lvl to 90 (since most players down there are lvling their lvl70+ chars hard.

What do you think guys? One of you that have better contacts than me (can't be worse I have none lol) could put it to someone...!

Qiris

Post by Qiris » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:06 pm

Havn't been in game so don't relaly know what you guys are talking about, but if ingots are gone, then i'm in real truble. I have (had) w/e a few bags of ingots that i was going to sell the next time i was in game as i owe a few people some money. Ingots was really my only way of income, if they are gone, then i'll have to find another..which will really be suckage.

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:40 pm

Ingots have been only cleared from droptable, not from inventory (acording to Znore).

Personally, I don't welcome any playing with droploot tables, FC tends to mess other stuff in process. But all I can say about ingots, is that FC decided for that move too late. Game economy is totally borked and farming in Ely for ebaying credits has gonne too far.

While introducing trivial code to loot tables seems interesting idea, it's totally out of question in game like AO. There are several items droping from low level playfields that high level chars need too (or in some cases like FRN only high chars can use). With trivial code, FC would have to create additional drop locations, since with game so complex, players can outgrow zone, before returning there to get item/ do quest.

As alternative ways of income go...apart from fmonster parts, there are pearls and pattern pieces in SL and good old missions/dynas on RK. Back in fall of 2003 I was able to make over 500 mill in 1 month. It was totally legitime way and it took amount of dedication I was never able to duplicate, but saying that players won't be able to get enough credits today to support their chars can't hold true. Bigger problem nowdays are timesinks. RK supported flying and there were really only so few places people visited. With SL and AI, FC created additional timesinks in ways of traveling, geting CRU, waiting for cloak to reset, etc...and now, in some cases, stoping to farm credits to update equipment.

I would preffer if FC would go after Ebayers directly, instead of nerfing, but that's just too big a task with game engine as it is and servers to match it. This is just temporarly fix. With recent Uprising PvP action in Ely, it has become clear that those Ebayers are organized (and not PvP experienced, hehe). That means they will find alternative ways of geting credits. Either they'll farm monster parts or SL and RK dynas. In all cases they'll create new hot spots. Additionally, some of players with SL will move back down to RK to tweak gain of xp and credits. That will, sooner or later create friction betwen paying and froob players.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Satertek

Post by Satertek » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:20 pm

Qiris wrote:Havn't been in game so don't relaly know what you guys are talking about, but if ingots are gone, then i'm in real truble. I have (had) w/e a few bags of ingots that i was going to sell the next time i was in game as i owe a few people some money. Ingots was really my only way of income, if they are gone, then i'll have to find another..which will really be suckage.
You won't lose any ingots you already have, they just won't be found as drops anymore.

Qiris

Post by Qiris » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:46 am

Woot, cool. Do you think i can sell them for more now that they are not droping anymore?
:twisted: