What is a Fr00b Doctor to do?!

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

PotisPoeta

What is a Fr00b Doctor to do?!

Post by PotisPoeta » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:50 am

I decided to check out AO again after having played it a couple years ago on a friends account. I jumped on the offer to play free and decided to start a NM doc. I've been playing just about every spare moment for a month now. I went through n00b island, subway, and then totw and have now reached lvl 63.

At this point, I'm a bit lost. Being a doc (at least a heal doc) requires that you get some teammates. This weekend I've learned that finding teammates at this level seems to be incredibly difficult.

Thus, my question is... since as a fr00b I can't go into SL or do Aliens... where should I go to team up? I've tried the LFT channel. I've also tried jumping on a team to hunt Cyborgs in Mort. I feel like I've hit a wall here and need some advice. Is there an easy way to do things here that I'm missing?

Perhaps this is the big reason why, as mentioned in the other thread, there are no 175+ fr00b docs to be found. With the expansions offering better xp and loot to paid players, there is hardly anybody left on good old RK for us fr00b docs to team with at higher levels.... or am I wrong?
Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it. -- Mark Twain

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:10 am

Missions are the obvious choice... Other than that, Borgs, Ninjas...

Try deciding where you want to go then making up your own team from the /lft list (hit Shift+F).

Chebri

Post by Chebri » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:26 am

PotisPoeta,

Don't get frustrated. Anyone who passes up the chance to team with a doc is truly missing out. Don't stop looking for a team. You will find fine folks willing to team with you. By the way, which server are you on? :wink:

Best,

~Chebri
"Out beyond ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there."
~Rumi

Frieloc

Post by Frieloc » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:18 am

I would possibly try finding a team at Foremans if I were you, or just go on the LFT interface and under the description put "anything on RK" and then maybe someone might send you a tell for something a bit less common. As a doc I wouldn't be picky I guess and just try to get a team anywhere doing anything. Since you are a heal only type of doc soloing is out of the question unless you have a lot of spare IP to use.
Imatroxdoc, 188/12 Atrox Doctor, Omni, Squad Commander of Band of Little Brothers
Ruffixx, 136/13 Opifex Fixer, Omni, Unit Member of Obsidian Order

Former account open for now:
Imadoctor, 208/11 Solitus Doctor
Frieloc, 205/8 Soltius Adventurer

All Altantean.

lcidw

Post by lcidw » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:48 am

Go to Foremans Office. It is indeed hard even for a doc to get a team after level 61. Simply go to foremans and you will get a team, level up to 75 and go to meetmedere, where you will get a team just as easy.. around level 105, start doing missions.
MAIN: Enatox (equipment) - MAKE LOVE NOT ATROX

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:27 am

Just go stand around near the Ninja spawn & type /lft WTB Ninjas they will come to you ^^

PotisPoeta

Thank you, folks

Post by PotisPoeta » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:08 am

Thanks folks.

I've taken some of your advice and was almost successful. Yesterday I was summonned off the LFT list to a team in the cyborg barracks in Tir. That was going really good until the tank left, team fell apart and I died trying to run away.

Later on I was able to team up for cyborgs in Mort, but the lag bogged me down. A couple of my teammates died before I even saw their bar go down, and a few minutes later I was LD.

I think next I will try to hitch up with people at foremans. I want some CDRs badly. Still, I must admit that I feel very much discouraged.

Oh, and for those who asked... I'm on RK2 under same name.
Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it. -- Mark Twain

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:37 am

Lag is a factor in these things, however, an XP Pool isn't altogeather a bad thing, be happy to work up a pool, then when you get a team with a Crat in it, you'll burn up your pool fast! ^^

PotisPoeta

Problem Solved!

Post by PotisPoeta » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:12 am

Well, I finally found the solution to my teaming problem. With a little luck, I gained 20 lvls over the weekend and I'm up to 83 now. How did I do it?

1. Bothackers - In Pleasant Meadows (somewhere around 800x800 I think) there is a little place known to many players as the bothacker camp. These things are great xp for a lvl 50-70(+) team. All I had to do was grid to Harry's and pretty soon I was on a full team. Getting over to the camp, which is in omni area, can be difficult for a clanner such as myself, and I did get blasted by the guard several times. Lucky for me, there was a clan trader on my team as well with a vehicle. He was able to lure away the guard and make safe passage for the rest of us rebels. Six levels later, I was feeling like I was finally out of the rut. It was frustrating making trips over there, but it was well worth it.

2. Borgs - With my teaming range a little higher now, I decided to try getting on a borgs team again. Once again, I was lucky enough to get on an efficient team with a second doc and some well-twinked 80ish tanks. It's an awful lot of fun when it only takes 5 kills to level. Before I knew it, I was lvl 78 and had a bag full of ql190+ loot to sell.

3. A little help from my friends - one friend in particular in my org has taken it upon himself to help me out. He logged his lvl 104 fixer just to do a couple team missions with me. XP was not as great as borgs, but it was a lot less work for me. Most of the time I felt like I was along for the ride.

Hmm.... what to do with all this IP now? :)

Sorceress

Post by Sorceress » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:02 am

USe the IP for some wpn skills. That way you can solo mishes inbetween the teams.

Great for killing time, farming tokens and you get xp while on lft :wink:

RURRettaman

Post by RURRettaman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:11 pm

Always love hearing of old school camping grounds!

travy2

Post by travy2 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:34 pm

i'm been a fr00b till 193 or so(and doc NM), and i can remember how hard it was sometimes to get a team for anything on rk . I don't want to sound bitter but the more u'll level the more lonely u'll be especialy after 150.
Even tho i prefered the fr00b lvling at the SL lvling :p
RK is all about fun :wink:
Travy2 DOC 218/20 RK1

lcidw

Post by lcidw » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:15 pm

It's harder for my 184 froob agent to get a team, then my currently 161 doc.. and i think it'll stay that way.

Still people wanna do RK missions.. for the loot, tokens, cru's, or cause they're froob like me. And we're short on RK docs, all the 150+ docs go SL/AI.

Cause of that, i don't think it'll be so hard to get a team on RK, not as hard as my agent though :)

And if i can't get a team, i still have another doc, fixer, and engineer to play with :P
MAIN: Enatox (equipment) - MAKE LOVE NOT ATROX