Making A New Toon

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

anton2oo9

Making A New Toon

Post by anton2oo9 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi all im thinking off making a new toon but i dunno what prof i have played mp adven keeper shade fixer enfo sol agent so i dunnoo any idieas off what is a fun prof to play thats not expensive as i dont have alot off money these days :(
Anton =)

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:02 pm

They're all expensive...

Try a Doc!
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Niodemus
AOU Content Editor

Post by Niodemus » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:43 pm

Snakebite wrote:They're all expensive...

Try a Doc!
Is as expensive as most professions... and honestly would not recommend starting a doc while being on low budget. The "credit generating" of a doc is lowest of all... though... being myself mainly a doc... it's at least a fun prof!
But one has to be a real caretaker to play the only real support class ... and have a thick skin to not go down with unreasonable flaming & shouting at from team members - if they mess up again.

And how could someone else give you advise of a fun profession ... by all Means... everyone has different playstyles and different preferences.
What might help you on chosing a profession giving you a fun time, figure for yourself... do you like fast clicking differnt buttons ... or more repetitive clicking... or near to no clicking at all? Do you like to play a profession on which a team relies? Are you more the standalone kind of person? Do you like to be in first row at battles... or do you prefer staying behind and adding your toolsets?
Gladly AO offers professions for basicly every playstyle. (Sadly?) This comes along with a huge diversity and combinations.
It's a pity that your budget is low, else I would recommend to try most of the professions to .. something like level 50 or 70, untill that time you mostly figure whether you like the gameplay of the profession.

From my point of view... yes, Doctors are a fun and challenging profession. Also I like to play Engineer.

Regards
Nio

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:08 am

Yup, a doc can also be very stressful, you're on 100% concentration during any fight (& if you & the team are doing it right, the fight just carrys on from one mob to the next), so you get tired fast.

When my team needs a doc, I always try to get the lowest level doc that can do the job, that way they level fast & they learn to manage their buffs, heals, stimms & debuffs. But that's just my preference.

You also have to learn to control your team, if you're not ready, then they die, so you have to hold them back, tell them to watch your nano bar, tell them when NOT to pull mobs & tell them when they can... After all, if you can't heal, everyone dies lol.
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Niodemus
AOU Content Editor

Post by Niodemus » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:24 am

Snakebite wrote:You also have to learn to control your team, if you're not ready, then they die, so you have to hold them back, tell them to watch your nano bar , tell them when NOT to pull mobs & tell them when they can... After all, if you can't heal, everyone dies lol.
Red part is most important, really! Surprisingly most player do not even keep their team window open ... not even if you tell them.... so it's not about asking them to watch your nano... it's more about making them believe that having the team window open is (very) good... even if they do not look at it often ;) Actually it helps the whole team, not just the doc ...

However... this is not a topic on how and what docs have to act & react. My point is still valid... no one can tell you what profession is fun to play for you , that's something you have to find out yourself.

Thinking about it... I believe Martial Artists are rather cheap untill around mid/end title level 3... you do not have to look for weapons and the reasonable MA special attacks mostly come missions, they can not be found in shops (note: the reasonable ones! there are some like Bird of Prey, which can be bought at shops). On the counterpart... MAs are quite an expensive profession from TL4 on since you need a lot of rare and expensive gear to release the possible power of MAs.

On the other hand... all professions only get expensive if you want to push them to most effectiveness often (especially TL4+). But even average leveling characters (not twink nor gimp) usually spend a noticable amount of credits during their lifetime on gear and nanos.

In the end it boils down to what I mentioned earlier... find the profession offering you most of fun ... it's a game and you shouldn't feel like being at work doing something you do not really enjoy.

Regards
Nio