Any advices for beginner Doctor ?

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Akozz

Any advices for beginner Doctor ?

Post by Akozz » Fri May 29, 2009 2:45 pm

Hello

I want to create a Doc. I've red a few posts and one very outdated guild. But im not satisfied.

I have SL/AI/LE
I was inspired by some 220 doc running around in combined merc and with two swords of dusk. I thought it would be nice to have such toon, running around with some blades, be able to kill something and heal.
I saw 60lvl/Doc/Atrox soling azzy in totw with no problems at all.

But im not sure if doc would be so good for soling

My first questin is breed: sol / trox or nano ?

and second question is weapon
what kind of weapons is good for doc ?
i was thinking to choose one from this:
pistols / 1hb / 1he / MeleeEnergy
as I said before i like 1he or ME but im not sure if they have any advantages for doc apart from looking cool :P

Any hints are welcom

Edit:

I was also thinking of using pistols or 1hb/1he and then switching switching to MeleeEnergy at endgame. In case if there were no good MeleeEnergy weapons at low / mid levels

Casorinth

Post by Casorinth » Fri May 29, 2009 5:41 pm

Depends entirely what you want your doc for, if your pvp, pistol is definitly a good option as you get the set that allows you to use the big pvp dots.

PVM solo you pretty much rely on your dots for most the damage anyway so weapons not so imporatant, generally go for something that buffs nano skills such as a couple of the pistols you can get do, or just go for a decent damage low req weapon you can buff on.

If your going team play then you can go chalice and such till high level and then move onto pistols.

Lack of any real energy weapons before the swords of dusk/dawn which you wont get till the 210+ means its not such a good option.

Breed wise, well mostly personal preference, generally very little real difference untill end game, nano will give you slightly easier nanos but trox will give marginal ammounts more hp

Niodemus
AOU Content Editor

Re: Any advices for beginner Doctor ?

Post by Niodemus » Fri May 29, 2009 5:46 pm

Akozz wrote: My first questin is breed: sol / trox or nano ?
My opinion: never ever Trox... some might argue though. Trox have lowest nano cost cap (45%) and are hard to get a reasonable nano regain tick. The few more HP don't really matter at any stage since most HP are gained by equipment. Mongo Rage is a nice perk for offensive weapon classes, but you are more likely a nano user.. or should be at least ;)

Nanomage has highest nano cost cap (55%) along with easy to reach 2 second nano tick... very early as well. Downside are the lower HP and low Stamina. Still I would more likely chose Nano instead of Trox.

Personally I would only have to chose between Opifex and Solitus... Solitus is a good all way breed, but Opi have an easier time with symbiants (Support symbs all have Agil & Sense + a random other). On HP and Nano they are pretty much equal. Only downside of Opi coming into mind is the low Stamina caps.

Still the choice is yours, every breed would do and there is no perfect breed for doctors. All depends on what you like more or what fits your experience with the game and how much you like twinking.
Akozz wrote:and second question is weapon
what kind of weapons is good for doc ?
i was thinking to choose one from this:
pistols / 1hb / 1he / MeleeEnergy
as I said before i like 1he or ME but im not sure if they have any advantages for doc apart from looking cool :P
At lower level any weapon would work apart of Ranged/Melee Energy, because the cluster sit in the shiny head and you have no support from symbiants, and do never consider a weapon with Full Auto special, no support, very long cycles, low chance to hit etc.
At higher level... like 100+... the weapons burn down to the popular ones: 1HE, MA (Sticks & BoBs), Pistol and Shotgun... for PvP also Bows. Alternatives are SMG, 1HB, 2HE/HB... still I would not consider Ranged/Melee Energy untill TL7

However it's up to you as well... have used Kyr'Ozch Energy Sword Type 76(?) from 90 - 130 and was satisfied with the damage I have done. Was just a lower level than I could have used with support from symbs.
Glady we docs have the advantage of not having real advantages in a certain weapon type.
Still I might have to mention that with Lost Eden Funcom tries to force us into Pistol/MA/Shotgun.

Well.. might have to add that during the first 100 level you should focus more on nano skills than weapons. Once you can cast all the top RK nanos you have enough time to skill for weapons.

Have fun with your doc, we are actually quite an less blueprint-like profession ;)

Nio

ps: With a Massive Bold Charger (or whatever it's exact name is) you have a good Heavy Weapons Skill weapon as well.

Akozz

Post by Akozz » Fri May 29, 2009 6:18 pm

Well i think i will focus on PvM. Ofcourse I will play in team but due to my style of play and lack of time i will also play solo for big part of game.

This is why i have to choose breed that allows me to survive. I guess solitus will be easier to get some armor on but from the other hand nanomage will have faster acces to nanos.
Im not sure how they are different in using pistols or melee weapons but am guessing nanomage is less offensive breed...
I like twinking but im not master of it :P My highest toon is 100 so i can provide a few millions cred to my doc but not to much.

I do realized melee energy is hard choice for anything before endgame. So im thinking of it like just endgame option. But i have to use something before :P
Pistols and 1he are the options i like the most. I have to consider which one would be better.

Casorinth

Post by Casorinth » Fri May 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Low level pistol wise, original electronicums give nice damage, with out costing lots of IP on specials and gives some ncu and nano init which always helps get those dots and deinits off fast as possible