AO GUI's

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Carus

AO GUI's

Post by Carus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:55 pm

Been looking for some good GUI's for ao, anyone have a good link or two where i can check some out, already downloaded op's gui as posted by scenegg, not bad but not really my style. any help would be appreciated :D
Carus - Fixer Peoples Front of Judea
Carus007- Agent Peoples Front of Judea
CarusDoc- Doctor Peoples Front of Judea
CplCarus - Soldier Peoples Front of Judea

Fourthaid
AOU Content Editor

Post by Fourthaid » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:02 pm

Notum Dovvetech is pretty much the only GUI that is up to date beyond the OP GUI as far as I am aware.

Carus

Post by Carus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:30 pm

bummer, thanks for the quick reply though, if anyone else knows of something it would be appreciated.

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:49 pm

you can always wait for scenes next work in progress to be finished :D

Scene
AOU Community Legend

Post by Scene » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:51 pm

the trouble with skinning AO, is that there isn't much room for originality. I've been tinkering around with different ideas and tests, but at the end of they day any skin design will more or less look similar, due to a lot of the images having to stick to a certain pixel size.

Carus

Post by Carus » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:19 am

the op gui is pretty good, only problem is its made for omelets :D a clan themed one, or even non aligned would be cool. using the dovvetech darkmini right now, i like the atmosphere it gives with the darkened layout, and it helps to clean up space on the hud for more scenery on screen. also a problem ive heard about from friends is most of the custom guis dont work well on widescreen monitors, if you have any suggestions for a possible fix i can pass them along. thanks for the input so far though. also soldiertech seems like a good gui but i dont have an available link, and all that green gets tiresome fast.:P

Scene
AOU Community Legend

Post by Scene » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:39 am

I was going to do a clan/neutral gui too, but another feature of AO is covering everything with a green/cyan transparency tint. I spen hours trying to compensate, to get the colours I wanted, only to find out that the transparencies are different in various parts of the GUI and so the colour changes aren't uniform.

For example, take the Dovvetech and OP GUIs. All the window/toolbar/buttons/hotbar images etc are actually designed in greyscale
Last edited by Scene on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carus

Post by Carus » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:42 am

isee, that sounds like it could be difficult. im not that informed on this subject to be of much help but wish you luck with it, as i saod, the op gui is nice, but for an rk2 clamer its not really for me :D

Scene
AOU Community Legend

Post by Scene » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:43 am

Its still on my "to do list" after Snakebite moaned about it months ago ;)

Yinepuhotep

Post by Yinepuhotep » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:27 pm

It sounds like, from what you're saying, that there's no way to modify the gui to make it accessible to people with vision problems. Is that a fair assessment of the situation?

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:14 pm

What sort of vision problems?
You've left that rather wide open...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Scene
AOU Community Legend

Post by Scene » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:58 pm

I'm guessing you mean by making the windows, borders and icons etc large... no they follow a set size, but things like mouse cursors and stat bars (non-windowed) can be made larger. Font size can be changed in the launcher settings.

Yinepuhotep

Post by Yinepuhotep » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:29 am

SceneGG wrote:I'm guessing you mean by making the windows, borders and icons etc large... no they follow a set size, but things like mouse cursors and stat bars (non-windowed) can be made larger. Font size can be changed in the launcher settings.
Right. I'm trying to find a way to make the gui accessible to my gf, who has 20/200 vision. That would mean making as much of the gui as possible either larger or with higher contrast than the default gui. So far, the Big Bars skin comes as close as I've been able to find.

Scene
AOU Community Legend

Post by Scene » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:30 am

Well I could certainly create a GUI with larger mouse cursors and floating stat bars, and maybe even high contrast. Trouble with the contrast colours would be the transparency colour overlay that AO implements (cyan/green), which alters the colour of the images used in certain areas. Its next to impossible getting white in some areas.

Not too sure about whether the hotbar is restricted in dimensions, but I know for a fact that chat windows and borders follow a strict table size. I tried creating larger borders for the AOU Mod, but AO resizes them in some places, or screws around with the table layout in others.

Yinepuhotep

Post by Yinepuhotep » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:37 pm

That sounds like it could be a big help. I wonder, would it be necessary to create a white area, or is it possible to create a color that is strongly visible even through that cyan/green overlay you mentioned? I've seen the comments here about AO's implementation of their UI, and I really like the way you've made the AOU Mod work despite that. If you're willing to try messing with it the way you suggested, I'm willing to be a guinea pig, and to get my gf's input on how it appears to her, as well.