Help a returning old player

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Aotp

Help a returning old player

Post by Aotp » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:36 am

Hello to all!

Let me start off by letting you know how much I appreciate your site, which has been truly awesome in times of need.

Now back to the topic and the reason of this thread.

I quit the game a long time ago (before the release of AI) and I'm playing a bit again since it's free and I have nothing better to do.

Quite rusty on a few things which I was hoping I could get some help with here.

- I'm playing a new char from scratch since I just cry my eyes out when looking at my gimped trader. I picked a Soldier since I never really tried it out back in the days. Could someone help me with a basic setup of implants? I'm clueless as to what to put in there to suit my Soldiers needs. Just for pure leveling, nothing fancy like jobe clusters. Kick it old school.

- I was planning on leveling on Rubi-Ka, but when would you suggest me to hit Shadowlands? Around 100?

- Weapons. I know about Perennium's and all that but I feel it's just too much of a hassle to obtain these babies. Probably going Div-9. Are these rollable or pure dyna/teamboss-loot? Would you suggest another weapon?

- Armor. What do people use? What is good enough for soloing?

I guess those have been my main concerns, but I'd be happy if you let me know if they have added any new fancy stuff that makes leveling easy.

My old main is 187, so I have the possibility to go around killing stuff in SL if it's worth it for some nice armor/gear/whatnot. Keep in mind im playing just for fun and not too seriously (like running around and farming a load of rare parts to get a gun that will be replaced after a day).

Simple, but effective! That's how I want it. Willing to make some exceptions if the reward is well worth it ofc.

I do NOT have Alien Invasion. Just NW and SL.

Cheers

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Re: Help a returning old player

Post by Ukblizzard » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:08 pm

Aotp wrote: - I'm playing a new char from scratch since I just cry my eyes out when looking at my gimped trader. I picked a Soldier since I never really tried it out back in the days. Could someone help me with a basic setup of implants? I'm clueless as to what to put in there to suit my Soldiers needs. Just for pure leveling, nothing fancy like jobe clusters. Kick it old school.
What level is your soldier? Are you already past the ready made implants you can buy from the basic shop?
- I was planning on leveling on Rubi-Ka, but when would you suggest me to hit Shadowlands? Around 100?
Complete personal choice. There are some nice quests in the Shadowlands, so I wouldnt miss out on doing those at the "right level" if you can do so :)
- Weapons. I know about Perennium's and all that but I feel it's just too much of a hassle to obtain these babies. Probably going Div-9. Are these rollable or pure dyna/teamboss-loot? Would you suggest another weapon?
Div 9 is boss loot / dyna loot. If you have credits spare on your trader, might be worthwhile buying a perennium!
- Armor. What do people use? What is good enough for soloing?
Again, completely personal choice and will depend a little on your level. Carb isnt terrible, neither is the newer Miys armour. If you are 100ish then perhaps T1 might suit you better.

As a side note, I think you have done a good thing.. starting over and relearning a little. Just keep asking for some direction if you feel lost or unsure :)[/quote]

Aotp

Post by Aotp » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!
What level is your soldier? Are you already past the ready made implants you can buy from the basic shop?
He's just 17, since I'm trying to get some implant sets together first, a few weapons etc. So that leveling can be somewhat smooth.

I feel like the ready-made implants are pretty stupid and prefer to make my own (old habit I guess). But as I said, I'm clueless about Soldier implant setups. Was hoping there might be someone here who plays/played one and could throw me in the right direction.
Complete personal choice. There are some nice quests in the Shadowlands, so I wouldnt miss out on doing those at the "right level" if you can do so
I actually don't like SL at all (mainly because I'm totally clueless and end up running around not finding what I'm looking for and getting pissed
:roll: ). But I feel like I should give it a good try if I keep playing.
Div 9 is boss loot / dyna loot. If you have credits spare on your trader, might be worthwhile buying a perennium!
I do have a few mill to spend. What's a reasonable price for those guns? Don't really know how long they last lvl wise. Let's say I get a QL60-65 for starters (I guess a Q50 is more expensive because of twinkage). What would the next gun be? QL100? Higher?
Again, completely personal choice and will depend a little on your level. Carb isnt terrible, neither is the newer Miys armour. If you are 100ish then perhaps T1 might suit you better.
Miys armor huh, can't remember that. Have to check it out :) . I guess CAS/Carb is the way to go. I think I even have a few sets of Metallic Mantis.

Oh, another thing. I know you pick missions at a certain zone to be able to get them close in another place. Totally forgot the spots tho. Like when you went somewhere and pulled missions in Broken Shore close to the grid. If you know some popular spots, please share (level20+).

So many questions, but bare with me! If you're on Atlantean, wrangles are on me :wink:

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:48 pm

Bottom line is...

At low lvl, you tend to lvl so fast that things become out of date very fast.

So I personaly tend to just go for carb as armour (it's easy to get & you just hand old sets down to your alts, no muss, no fuss).

Perenniums aren't too bad cost wise, probably cheaper than Div9s actualy...

Ready made implants are also a case of easy to get, again, you lvl out of them so fast at the lower lvls that custom ones are possibly just a time sink to make...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Uragon
AOU Community Legend

Post by Uragon » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:13 pm

The cheapest and best weapon for that level is actually free. Try getting your hands on a Neutrino Flash, acquired from the Steps of Madness dungeon. Happy hunting, I'd advise to bring a friend or two, or three, or maybe even an entire team of them. Depends on their level really.

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:46 pm

The premades arent stupid at your level, they can be pretty good in helping you figure out what you can do on your own as well. Take a look here and you can see a listing of all premade imps.
- http://flw.nu/portal/?page=tools_premadeimps

I have played my solder for the last 6 and a bit years, if I was to make a new soldier, I think premades would be on my shopping list at your level :) You need imps that push your gun skills, your TMS skill and your armour.

At any rate, read Tepaminas Soldier guide, that should help quite a lot and has some examples : http://www.ao-universe.com/main.php?sit ... k=0&id=230

Pereniums can be built at "any" level up to 200.. depends on the components used to make it. Try a search in the AO Shopping forum for an idea on pricing.

Miys armour is quite new : hunting for miys guide from AO Froobs

Mission locations, I tend to do Newland to BS. Really not good at remembering lower char mission pulling places.

Aotp

Post by Aotp » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:51 pm

Snakebite wrote:Bottom line is...

At low lvl, you tend to lvl so fast that things become out of date very fast.

So I personaly tend to just go for carb as armour (it's easy to get & you just hand old sets down to your alts, no muss, no fuss).

Perenniums aren't too bad cost wise, probably cheaper than Div9s actualy...

Ready made implants are also a case of easy to get, again, you lvl out of them so fast at the lower lvls that custom ones are possibly just a time sink to make...
I guess that's true. When would you suggest getting custom mades? How long can you use the pre-made until they totally gimp you out?
Uragon wrote:The cheapest and best weapon for that level is actually free. Try getting your hands on a Neutrino Flash, acquired from the Steps of Madness dungeon. Happy hunting, I'd advise to bring a friend or two, or three, or maybe even an entire team of them. Depends on their level really.
SoM, brings back memories. While it would be fun to go there, I don't think that many people know about that place these days. Good tip nontheless.

Guess I'm lucky since I just found a Q50 Nano Charged Assault Rifle. Just got done finding the pieces to make it into Perennium :wink: . Gonna be a nice gun to level with and hopefully bring in a few creds when i'm done with it.

How long do you reckon I can use it?

Niodemus
AOU Content Editor

Post by Niodemus » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:31 pm

Ukblizzard wrote: Pereniums can be built at "any" level up to 200.. depends on the components used to make it. Try a search in the AO Shopping forum for an idea on pricing.
As far as I remember no Perenium weapons exists below QL50 though... and equipting a QL50 Blaster is still a hassle at level 25 as far as I remember (haven't played my soldier for some time)... think at level 28-30 it's becoming quite easy ... but you will need quite some full auto buffing implants intermediate and possibly a little help of a trader still.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:32 pm

Ok, SoM is actualy still frequented regularly, but mostly for the Neleb drops (robe & rod) although he now drops a version of the Temple belt & ncus...

With a little perseverence you can get the lvl100 basic imps in at below lvl50 (takes a couple of items maybe), & you could live with them till about lvl80 or 100 at a push, then you HAVE to make your own for certain, or you could make some lvl125s & get them in as soon as you can as this lvl is shop buyable, after than it's a clicksaver job usualy.

The main problem with Perennium weps is the barrel tool (which is used up in the process, the others are easy, the gun is rollable, the plate & bolt are pickable up off most hecks for free...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Aotp

Post by Aotp » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:59 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Leveling was indeed faster than I remembered as im almost 30 now. Using a SOL-G Robust or whatever it's called from a dyna boss.

Time to make a few sets of implants. Gonna be a blast :roll:

Do you usually make any other 3-piece sets besides Comp.Lit boosting? Or 1-2 piece sets? (Treatment to get high QL imps in other spots perhaps).

Niodemus
AOU Content Editor

Post by Niodemus » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:29 pm

Usually I use my set of QL100 implant sets for Treatment, Comp.Literacy & Map Navigation (for each one set) to equipt end of TL2 or beginning of TL3.

Map Navigation mostly just for getting the map upgrades people & mobs, which really help... playfield minimaps I won't bother much twinking for - but you might think different