New to AO, looking for advice

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Xori Ruscuv

New to AO, looking for advice

Post by Xori Ruscuv » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:08 am

I'm a "veteran" to MMOs - having played since text muds. My "main squeeze" mmo is Eve Online right now - that game satisfies my need for PVP like no other.

Unfortunately I realized that my desire for exploring, PVE encounters, etc. is pitifully lacking in Eve. I mean, honestly, it has the worst PVE of any game I've ever played... heh.

Thing is, I've realized that I'm sick and damn tired of fantasy. I can't go back to WOW/EQ2/Lotro, and Tabula Rasa (a game I dearly loved though realizing how poorly made it was) is being shut down. I've also been looking for something I can get my wife to play too. (She hates Eve, so... yeah.)

So there's just a couple questions I have:
- Perusing these boards and I see a lot of emphasis on RP. Now, I'm not one of these jackasses who runs around making fun of RPers. Everyone should play the game the way they like. I'm just not an RPer myself, and have no interest in it. Will I find myself terribly left out of the AO community? Will I be bored with lack of things "to do" if I don't want to RP?

- How is the group content in this game? (Raids, etc?) Are there complex/difficult goals to work toward with your clan?

- I see a lot about mission grinding. I already have to grind missions in Eve to fund my PVP. :s I don't want to spend all my time in another game grinding the mind numbing repetitive solo stuff :s Is it mission mission mission, or is there plenty to do?

- As I mentioned, I'm trying to get my wife interested in the game too. Pretty much the only thing she'll play right now is WOW, but I just can't go back to that game. Any "tips" on how to "get her into" AO? Any cool stuff that will grab her as a newbie and make her not want to stop playing?

- Are there any current plans for significant expansions, outside the upcoming graphics update? Content additions, storyline progress, etc?

- While I'm not an RPer, I DO "get into" the game lore. I'm being told a story and taking part of the story and I like to know what's going on. It's like reading a book that I can interact with. Sooo... to that end, is there somewhere I can go with a condensed "history" and some basic lore to get my teeth sunk into that a bit?

- Morbid curiosity :) I was checking out those "leaked" screenshots from the graphics update. The shaders and what not are cute, but what the game really seems to need is a texture update to make use of modern hardware's larger memory availability. Is there a plan to update the textures etc? (Yes I know it's an older game, I'm just curious. It would be kickass to see a great old game get a beautiful new face. I'd so love to have a sci-fi MMO with solid PVE and exploration opportunities!)

- Is there a severe population imbalance for Clan vs. Omni? Will a new player find it more difficult to roll one or the other? My natural tendency is to roll Omni (sounds cooler), but after nasty experience in WOW with population imbalances, I figure I'd better check first :)

Thanks very much for any assistance you provide :)

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Re: New to AO, looking for advice

Post by Snakebite » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:06 am

Xori Ruscuv wrote:Perusing these boards and I see a lot of emphasis on RP. Now, I'm not one of these jackasses who runs around making fun of RPers. Everyone should play the game the way they like. I'm just not an RPer myself, and have no interest in it. Will I find myself terribly left out of the AO community? Will I be bored with lack of things "to do" if I don't want to RP?
First off, 'these' boards aren't Funcom, they're a fansite (the best we think), so RP is more concentrated here, RP isn't a huge thing in AO...
Xori Ruscuv wrote:- How is the group content in this game? (Raids, etc?) Are there complex/difficult goals to work toward with your clan?
Up to your ears in 'group' content...!!!
Xori Ruscuv wrote:- I see a lot about mission grinding. I already have to grind missions in Eve to fund my PVP. :s I don't want to spend all my time in another game grinding the mind numbing repetitive solo stuff :s Is it mission mission mission, or is there plenty to do?
You 'grind' as much as you need to to lvl at the speed you want to...
Xori Ruscuv wrote:- As I mentioned, I'm trying to get my wife interested in the game too. Pretty much the only thing she'll play right now is WOW, but I just can't go back to that game. Any "tips" on how to "get her into" AO? Any cool stuff that will grab her as a newbie and make her not want to stop playing?
The female clothing is VERY satisfying ^^ lol.
Other than that, it's a very social game with lots to fight & lots to make & lots to talk about...
Xori Ruscuv wrote:- Are there any current plans for significant expansions, outside the upcoming graphics update? Content additions, storyline progress, etc?
Yes, FC is updating all the time, there's a new booster pack being made as we type...
Xori Ruscuv wrote:- While I'm not an RPer, I DO "get into" the game lore. I'm being told a story and taking part of the story and I like to know what's going on. It's like reading a book that I can interact with. Sooo... to that end, is there somewhere I can go with a condensed "history" and some basic lore to get my teeth sunk into that a bit?
Yes, the official site has a storyline page, where you can read all about it.
Xori Ruscuv wrote:- Morbid curiosity :) I was checking out those "leaked" screenshots from the graphics update. The shaders and what not are cute, but what the game really seems to need is a texture update to make use of modern hardware's larger memory availability. Is there a plan to update the textures etc? (Yes I know it's an older game, I'm just curious. It would be kickass to see a great old game get a beautiful new face. I'd so love to have a sci-fi MMO with solid PVE and exploration opportunities!)
Dunno, out of my juristiction (software hates me).
Xori Ruscuv wrote:- Is there a severe population imbalance for Clan vs. Omni? Will a new player find it more difficult to roll one or the other? My natural tendency is to roll Omni (sounds cooler), but after nasty experience in WOW with population imbalances, I figure I'd better check first :)
No, Neutral are definately the underdogs on all servers, not much difference between Omni & Clan.
As for other things, Omni cities are mazes, Clan are friendlier (not including tir lol), but then who wants to be the 'lickspittle bootboys of the capitolistic opressor'??? lol :wink:

As for the rest of it, AO is just about the most complex game overall out there (mmo wise), the tradeskill list is effectively endless (no grinding of stupid pointless tradeskill items) & this is what realy does it for me, apart from the general populations socialbility...

If you wanna sign up on Rimor & go Clan, I'd be happy to get the pair of you started...

P.S. Don't get the expansions straight away, dowload the large client so you don't need to later & stay a free player (fr00b) for a month at least, lets you get to know how it all works...
Last edited by Snakebite on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Xori Ruscuv

Post by Xori Ruscuv » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:12 am

Thanks for the help!

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:27 am

NP, I'm sure others will add more lol.

Xori Ruscuv

Post by Xori Ruscuv » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:52 am

Snakebite wrote:NP, I'm sure others will add more lol.
Or not. I have a tendency to make TLDR :lol:

Fourthaid
AOU Content Editor

Re: New to AO, looking for advice

Post by Fourthaid » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:35 pm

Xori Ruscuv wrote:- Perusing these boards and I see a lot of emphasis on RP. Now, I'm not one of these jackasses who runs around making fun of RPers. Everyone should play the game the way they like. I'm just not an RPer myself, and have no interest in it. Will I find myself terribly left out of the AO community? Will I be bored with lack of things "to do" if I don't want to RP?
I'd say that RP in AO (At least on RK1, the server I play on) is far from present. AO, unlike most other MMOs I've played, seems to have divided into three camps; RPers, PvMers and PvPers. And of course the weirdos that do two or even all three ^^
AOU does however try to cover all three of those bases.
As Snakebite said, RP isn't a huge thing in AO but the ones that do participate in it are quite active and dedicated
Xori Ruscuv wrote:- How is the group content in this game? (Raids, etc?) Are there complex/difficult goals to work toward with your clan?
One issue I have personally with the raids in AO, is that most of it is concentrated to endgame. However there is tons of group content that might not be considered an actual "multi team"-raids from 1-220. From simple Rubi-Ka missions and quests, Mercenaries, APF10, Hollow Island... well, I could get stuck here for hours mentioning things that can be done in teams hehe :)
Xori Ruscuv wrote:- I see a lot about mission grinding. I already have to grind missions in Eve to fund my PVP. :s I don't want to spend all my time in another game grinding the mind numbing repetitive solo stuff :s Is it mission mission mission, or is there plenty to do?
In AO, like in many (if not most) MMOs, you will have to PvM to fund your PvP and get gear required. The biggest grind for new players, if you are sided, will probably be the Token Boards. However these are possible to acquire without having to use "grinding" methods it has just become a "tradition" for many players to solo their way to 1000 tokens. I find it a lot more fun to acquire it by teaming with friends as much as possible.
Xori Ruscuv wrote: - As I mentioned, I'm trying to get my wife interested in the game too. Pretty much the only thing she'll play right now is WOW, but I just can't go back to that game. Any "tips" on how to "get her into" AO? Any cool stuff that will grab her as a newbie and make her not want to stop playing?
All depends on her personality.. Snakebite mentions the clothing, and while that might be stereotypical hehe, it might be something to mention. The Social Tab is fun to play with :D
Xori Ruscuv wrote: - Are there any current plans for significant expansions, outside the upcoming graphics update? Content additions, storyline progress, etc?
Since Lost Eden was released, the amount of content and storyline additions have been massive compared to how AO was before. Since 17.0 was released we have gotten 3 team instances, a huge Dust Brigade Quest, an Alien playfield for 100-150 level players, small quests on Rubi-Ka, addition of huge quests to the Shadowlands.. well.. I could go on for a long time here.. so

Tldr-version; Yes. New booster coming out in the first quarter of 09 is just one example :)
Xori Ruscuv wrote: - While I'm not an RPer, I DO "get into" the game lore. I'm being told a story and taking part of the story and I like to know what's going on. It's like reading a book that I can interact with. Sooo... to that end, is there somewhere I can go with a condensed "history" and some basic lore to get my teeth sunk into that a bit?
Here you can read the basic storyline, though it does seem it has not been quite updated with the latest storylines. However you get the basic idea of the story of Rubi-Ka and the Shadowlands.
Xori Ruscuv wrote: - Morbid curiosity :) I was checking out those "leaked" screenshots from the graphics update. The shaders and what not are cute, but what the game really seems to need is a texture update to make use of modern hardware's larger memory availability. Is there a plan to update the textures etc? (Yes I know it's an older game, I'm just curious. It would be kickass to see a great old game get a beautiful new face. I'd so love to have a sci-fi MMO with solid PVE and exploration opportunities!)
I couldn't agree more :) And I couldn't tell you if FC has planned to update textures on release of the gaming engine, but (and don't hold me to this :) ) I seem to recall either Sil, the old Game Director, or Means, the current Game Director, mentioning that they were hoping to update textures in "bunches" after the release of the engine.
At any rate, I do hope that they plan to update them :) But since I am not an FC employee I can only guess at this time :D
Xori Ruscuv wrote: - Is there a severe population imbalance for Clan vs. Omni? Will a new player find it more difficult to roll one or the other? My natural tendency is to roll Omni (sounds cooler), but after nasty experience in WOW with population imbalances, I figure I'd better check first :)
On RK1, the balance is quite nice. Most of the time there are equal amounts of Clans and Omnis online. I am not too certain about RK2, but I have not heard any talks of imbalances, though I am far from up to date on Rimor issues :)

Hope you got the answers you were looking for :)

Xori Ruscuv

Post by Xori Ruscuv » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:11 am

Again, TYVM!

Quick question: I usually like tanking in group situations. Is the Enforcer the only valid tank class, or are there several valid tank classes like in WOW? (I tend to enjoy utility tanks such as WOW's Druid or EQ/VSoH's DK rather than straight bash em up standard "Warrior" classes. But that's what I'll play if it's what's called for to tank.)

My wife wants to play a martial artist or adventurer. She has a talent for picking uber classes and we'll be playing together a lot. Am I just going to feel useless for a little while? :lol: Also, what's the standard group content party size in this game? Can two people get on and do something, or am I well advised to join an org ASAP?

I'm taking a casual-ish approach to the game, which is new for me. My wife... super casual player, I'm not so much, so I'm trying to figure out how to best adapt my playstyle to hers. Hehe. Might not work, we'll see.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:13 am

Xori Ruscuv wrote:Quick question: I usually like tanking in group situations. Is the Enforcer the only valid tank class, or are there several valid tank classes like in WOW? (I tend to enjoy utility tanks such as WOW's Druid or EQ/VSoH's DK rather than straight bash em up standard "Warrior" classes. But that's what I'll play if it's what's called for to tank.)
You're Wife has done it again then, the Advy is not so much a tank as a DD class (damage doer), good damage, got heals...
However, her other idea is sound too, the MA (because of no weapons) is a great soloist and also probably the easiest character to get into with it being a new game...
Xori Ruscuv wrote:My wife wants to play a martial artist or adventurer. She has a talent for picking uber classes and we'll be playing together a lot. Am I just going to feel useless for a little while? :lol: Also, what's the standard group content party size in this game? Can two people get on and do something, or am I well advised to join an org ASAP?
The standard (or max) party size is 6 players, however there's plenty to do if there's just the 2 of you. It would be good if you took an Atrox Enforcer & your wife took a Solitus Doc, that way you protect her & she keeps your HP up... Also a good way to learn the game...
Xori Ruscuv wrote:I'm taking a casual-ish approach to the game, which is new for me. My wife... super casual player, I'm not so much, so I'm trying to figure out how to best adapt my playstyle to hers. Hehe. Might not work, we'll see.
Well the Enf/Doc routine would work well here again, you can casualy hit stuff instead of rushing ahead & the Doc takes concentration so it would increase interest with your wife...

Again, just my view on things, others will add more lol.

Zeephonz

Post by Zeephonz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Snakebite wrote:
Xori Ruscuv wrote:My wife wants to play a martial artist or adventurer. She has a talent for picking uber classes and we'll be playing together a lot. Am I just going to feel useless for a little while? :lol: Also, what's the standard group content party size in this game? Can two people get on and do something, or am I well advised to join an org ASAP?
The standard (or max) party size is 6 players, however there's plenty to do if there's just the 2 of you. It would be good if you took an Atrox Enforcer & your wife took a Solitus Doc, that way you protect her & she keeps your HP up... Also a good way to learn the game...
Yup, if you wanna have fun together, a tank/healer combo will always be fun.

I would perhaps look at choosing an Opifex doc as opposed to a Solitus doc, for 3 reasons.

a) Agility & Sense are the 2 primary base stats for Opifex. Pistols are *typically* the weapon of choice for docs, and the pistol skill will gain from any trickle down effects from agility.

b) If you decide to move to paid accounts, and get the expansions, then you will find the support symbiants for the doctor are based on 3 base stats...2 of them being Agility & Sense, with a variable third stat. This makes getting on symbiants very very easy.

c) Agility & Sense affect evades, so an Opifex doc will gain some evade advantage over Solitus.

Basically, any breed works for doc, some you just need to work on a bit harder than others.

If you're heading to Rimor dimension, and considering clan as an option, come visit A.R.S. We actually have a couple of husband/wife teams playing etc, and a good proportion of us have children, which always makes for interesting times on Ventrilo :D

Contact me ingame on Zeephonz or Zeemedic is ya want, always happy to help.
Regards,
Zeephonz - 220/30/70 Pistolero Advy
Zeemedic - 220/23/70 Pistolero Doc
... and a truckload of others

President - A.R.S (Athens Recovery Service)

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:06 pm

Zeephonz wrote:I would perhaps look at choosing an Opifex doc as opposed to a Solitus doc, for 3 reasons.
I didn't suggest this because Soli have even base attributes, remember these are new players, to start with a Soli will be easier to get implants into instead of having to deal with differing attribute levels...

Zeephonz

Post by Zeephonz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Snakebite wrote:I didn't suggest this because Soli have even base attributes, remember these are new players, to start with a Soli will be easier to get implants into instead of having to deal with differing attribute levels...
Well, I'd beg to differ on the ease of implant integration even for a newbie, but perhaps the OP would get some assistance from these two FC threads as opposed to making things too heated...

Consolidated Doctor Profession Links

and

Doctor Breeds

Have fun!
Regards,
Zeephonz - 220/30/70 Pistolero Advy
Zeemedic - 220/23/70 Pistolero Doc
... and a truckload of others

President - A.R.S (Athens Recovery Service)

Nijushio

Post by Nijushio » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:49 am

Hey don't start off with too much information : )
All this talk about what breed and what prof just spoils the fun at the beginning. In my opinion it doesn't matter at all with what you start the game, since you will have several toons before long usually. Just go with what you feel like.

Adventurer and MA are perfect professions for starting, since both can handle themselves in fights as well as help teams with heals and dmg. They can solo well too which would be a bit slow for a doc.

Enforcer is a very nice profession for starting too, and works quite well without a proper doc at the beginning.
Most of the time any DD class with some survivabilty can tank, like Soldier, Advy or MA. They just lack the taunts an Enforcer has and have to rely on doing damage to get mob aggro on them.

So there is no need of you chosing professions that match perfectly well at the beginning. Of course a doc/enf team can be fun in the long run, but only if both of you feel comfortable with those professions. Enf / MA/ Advy are really nice combinations too anyway.

welcome to AO : )

Xori Ruscuv

Post by Xori Ruscuv » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:34 am

Nijushio wrote:Hey don't start off with too much information : )
All this talk about what breed and what prof just spoils the fun at the beginning. In my opinion it doesn't matter at all with what you start the game, since you will have several toons before long usually. Just go with what you feel like.
Respectfully disagree :) I rather enjoy the minmaxing and theory aspects. But I've been accused of being a bit of a bump on a log before. :lol:

But seriously, thanks very much for all the help!

Rolled up a new char to play around, got to Rome Blue, and... I'm delivering a burger. Woo... hehe.