So When is the new engine coming out?

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

volkheart2009

So When is the new engine coming out?

Post by volkheart2009 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:45 am

anybody know the given date? Also will you have to restart your character? And is it free?

Gimpeline
LPA Founder

Post by Gimpeline » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:13 am

No date, you don't have to start over and they have given no indication that they are stoping the froobprogram
Lise "Gimpeline" EverwhiteOmni-MiningLeet Protection Agency

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:15 am

The only thing that's worrying me about the new engine is the possibility of it leaving all those of us with low end computers in the lurch...

I'm hoping that there will be an option to use the old graphics or the new & it be your choice...

Oh, just thought of another problem, most ppl nowadays have broadband, but I'm assuming some don't, or have satalite internet which will be set with high latency, much better graphics is only gonna make things worse there too.
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Post by Khuri » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:08 pm

Snakebite wrote:Oh, just thought of another problem, most ppl nowadays have broadband, but I'm assuming some don't, or have satalite internet which will be set with high latency, much better graphics is only gonna make things worse there too.
I don't think so. The graphics is rendered locally on your computer and thus depending on your computers power, not the bandwidth speed. What could only cause additional lag is if your computers too slow for the graphics, but i doubt that the amount of information transferred between the server and your local computer will increase much. Well, at least i hope, having a crappy connection myself ;)