noob question - whats a nanobot?

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

firestick

noob question - whats a nanobot?

Post by firestick » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:37 pm

hello, i totally new to all this,

but I heard the term in this guide im reading and i just wanted to know?

(been playing the game for a couple of days) whats a NANOBOT? is that a nanobot on ao home page?

Thanks alot,

firestick

Nadab

Re: noob question - whats a nanobot?

Post by Nadab » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:28 pm

firestick wrote:hello, i totally new to all this,

but I heard the term in this guide im reading and i just wanted to know?

(been playing the game for a couple of days) whats a NANOBOT? is that a nanobot on ao home page?

Thanks alot,

firestick
A nano-bot is a very, very, very small robot made with nano-technology. It functions in and out of your body and provides access to the various skills and nano-programs that each profession uses... Consider it like mana used by spellcasters to cast their spells in a fantasy world. Now, Nanobots work so well here on Rubi-ka because of the high concentrations of Notum, an element that only exists here on Rubi-ka.

I would suggest that you read the background story from the AO website (here: General Overview and look up the web-book "Prophet" on the AO main site too......
Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich********Corporal, Omni-Pol Field Ops**********T-Sgt1C Omni-AF, 4th Fusiliers RST, retired"If I'm the agent Shai-hulud, where's my 10% ?"Roleplaying Profile of Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:19 pm

Nanorobotics is the technology of creating machines or robots at or close to the microscopic scale of a nanometres (10-9 metres). More specifically, nanorobotics refers to the still largely hypothetical nanotechnology engineering discipline of designing and building nanorobots. Nanorobots (nanobots, nanoids, nanites or nanonites) would be typically devices ranging in size from 0.1-10 micrometers and constructed of nanoscale or molecular components. As no artificial non-biological nanorobots have yet been created, they remain a hypothetical concept.

Another definition sometimes used is a robot which allows precision interactions with nanoscale objects, or can manipulate with nanoscale resolution. Following this definition even a large apparatus such as an atomic force microscope can be considered a nanorobotic instrument when configured to perform nanomanipulation. Also, macroscale robots or microrobots which can move with nanoscale precision can also be considered nanorobots.

Nanomachines are largely in the research-and-development phase, but some primitive molecular machines have been tested. An example is a sensor having a switch approximately 1.5 nanometers across, capable of counting specific molecules in a chemical sample. The first useful applications of nanomachines, if such are ever built, might be in medical technology, where they might be used to identify cancer cells and destroy them. Another potential application is the detection of toxic chemicals, and the measurement of their concentrations, in the environment. Recently, Rice University has demonstrated a single-molecule car which is developed by a chemical process and includes buckyballs for wheels. It is actuated by controlling the environmental temperature and by positioning a scanning tunneling microscope tip.
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!