Noob needs help!

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

csblackhawk

Noob needs help!

Post by csblackhawk » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:49 am

I need some general guidance. I'm lvl 10. . .and have scavenged some armor and implants, and am using my newbie assault rifle with upgrade.

I need to know how and when to buy my first standard assault rifle and how to travel quickly to other areas (for missions). I heard something about Whom-pahs, but am not sure. I am in West Athen.

Thanks

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:04 am

Till level 20 at least you don't have to worry about equipment upgrades, since you'll manage missions and stuff with your current setup. After that, I suggest you get yourself pre-made implants (you can buy them in any basic shop), maybe get carbonum armor (it's tradeskilled, plates cost a bit, so try looking for tradeskiller that will be willing to buy them, since he/she will be probably able to get them cheaper) and for weapon I would suggest Division9 assault rifle, those drop from dyna bosses (I assume you're soldier).

West Athens don't have whompa. You should run east and across bride into Old Athens. Continuing east, you'll come to center of it, the "hill". Turn south there and you'll come to whompas, door-like structures with high antena. Simply walking into those doors will transport you to city which name is over it.

Another fast way to travel is grid. Using those require different ammounts of computer literacy, so while West Athens have one, I suggest you check Old Athens one again (needs lower CL, think it's 90). This time you turn north from hill. You'll run straight into NPC called Raumn Bauer, grid is a terminal to the right f him. R-click on it to be transported inside. In there you'll have several raised platforms with names over it that will allow you to exit where you want (just be causios, since you can exit into Omni area and guards will kill you).

If you're totally new to game, I suggest you do Clan start-up quest chain, since it will explain to you a thing or two about whompas, appartments, etc.. as well as give you some idea about which land is safe to travel.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

csblackhawk

Post by csblackhawk » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:17 am

Where can I kill a dyna? I wonder if I should start over since I did invest quite a bit (for my level) in shotgun and rifle skills, but I heard assault rifle is the primary skill for a soldier (w/ a little SMG/MG).

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:23 am

Where to find Dynas..

well firstly get your hands on the latest version of the Atlas of Rubi Ka, you can do that by going to our Multimedia section on the left hand navigation panel, and clicking Maps.

On this map, when you have downloaded and installed it, you will find there are purple numbers with dots next to them.

[img]http://karoka.redirectme.net/omnipol/dynas.jpg[/img]

The numbers indicate what level the dyna boss is.

When you kill a dyna, it drops loot like a mission boss does. So, its a fun way to explore Rubi Ka.. and hopefully get your hands on some nice loot. Just dont forget spare ammo and a backpack!!

EDIT: Re your IP distribution. As a soldier, I never touched SMG. Try not to waste IP early on :)

csblackhawk

Post by csblackhawk » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:28 am

Any way I can re-distribute the IP i wasted on rifles, shotguns, and SMG???

And where do I put the atlas map? In what folder?

TY

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:32 am

redistribution is only possible via resetting. Using those points at a low level can be devastating later on should you find you are really short on some much needed IP.. for other people, well its not quite so devastating and they get over it :)

The map should have a read me file to tell you where to put it. Something like \Funcom\Anarchy Online\cd_image\textures\planetmap

csblackhawk

Post by csblackhawk » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:36 am

So at my lvl (10) is it worth creating a new character?

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:39 am

I think honestly, I would. Getting to level 10 doesnt take long ..

but it is up to you, you wont have done a huge amount of damage "wasting" IP if you are just level 10.

csblackhawk

Post by csblackhawk » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:42 am

Thanks for the help. . .I think I'll re-start >_<. I think I could earn a little more cash in the newb area as well. Oh, how do I apply the Clan armor patch? I tried multiple times through the tradeskill kit, but no go. . .

Thanks again for all the help.

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:46 am

Re-start and go clan??!!! EEEKs!! Just kidding.. *cough*

The badge should just shift + right click onto the armour to make it sided.

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:48 pm

Just remember you need to have both badge and armor in your inventory (and not in backpack or wearing it).
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

csblackhawk

Post by csblackhawk » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:11 pm

I've restarted, got the armor + clan badge, and the upgraded newb assault rifle, backpack, and a range finder. Now just to get more creds and off to Athen. . .

any advice?

Oh and how long is the Newcomer armor (+ badge) good for?

And my thanks and apologies for all the help and bugging you.

Casorinth

Post by Casorinth » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:32 pm

I generally wear the upgraded newcomers till about 30 unless im going through SL and can get some thars or such

Nadab

Post by Nadab » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:47 pm

Recipebot is your friend.... make a macro

/macro Recipe /tell recipebot recipe

and stick the icon on a quickbar. I use quickbar 0, slot 1. This bot then loads up an information screen that you can use all through your gaming life. It contains information on weapons, armor, where to by Yalmaha's (Air Vehicles.... good for flying OVER aggro when going to those Dyna Camps) and much more... One of the more important screens is Newbie Island check list (what to get and do before leaving) and Buffing Lists by Profession... so you know who buffs what for those all important stat/ability needs when getting new equipment, implants, weapons, etc.
Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich********Corporal, Omni-Pol Field Ops**********T-Sgt1C Omni-AF, 4th Fusiliers RST, retired"If I'm the agent Shai-hulud, where's my 10% ?"Roleplaying Profile of Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

Shabbadoo

Post by Shabbadoo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:16 pm

All soldiers should read the soldier guide here.

http://www.ao-universe.com/main.php?sit ... k=0&id=230

This is a fantastic guide that contains pratically everything you need to know about your chosen profession,

The guide is also featured on the official AO bulletin boards