Did I get taken on this trade? Temporary weapons?

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

TradeMinistry

Did I get taken on this trade? Temporary weapons?

Post by TradeMinistry » Mon May 26, 2008 7:18 pm

I have a trader and a soldier both TL2. I ran across someone who was selling a lot of lower level weapons that would fit these two characters. The trade went in three stages, and I wound up with about 10 weapons. When I went to put them away, they wouldn't go into the bag. I was told that temporary weapons could not be put into a bag. Well, I caught up with this guy who told me he had bags full of these weapons. I explainded the problem that I was having. I got a partial refund and got to keep the weapons. All said and done I think I wound up with a real Chick Urban Sniper for 200K.

How worthless are temporary weapons? How can you ensure that you dont purchase temporary weapons? I know about No Drop and Unique, but this was something totally unexpected.

Was this guy exploiting? I got his SH-F9 information and thought about doing a petiton.

Thanks to anyone who could provide some insight.

Hahnsoo

Post by Hahnsoo » Mon May 26, 2008 8:37 pm

Fixers have a weapon line called Bootleg Beamers and Bolters (or something similar). This allows them to summon up temporary weapons that can be used for a period of time. However, temporary items were bugged a while back and didn't actually dissolve nor did they have problems fitting into a bag. I know that the "feature" of temporary items no longer fitting in a bag was added in the past couple of years. I do not know, however, if the item will dissolve in the future. However, you should have well outgrown those weapons by the time the ticker has passed.

EDIT: One more thing... there are weapons from that nano line that cannot be obtained any other way. *grin*
Last edited by Hahnsoo on Mon May 26, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Mon May 26, 2008 8:38 pm

It sounds like a weapons created by Bootleg Beamers 'n Bolters (OP-CLXXX) nano, or at least similar nano from same line. In that case, no it's not an exploit.

But since you weren't informed on nature of weapons, yes, I guess you were taken. And with "All trades are final" rule, there's nothing you can do about it.

On a bright side, there's nothing wrong with weapons, beside temporary flag. You can still use them as well as get mods from them. However, they have eqip timer on them, so after X hours wearing them, they'll simply vaporize (no idea how long this timer is tho).
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

TradeMinistry

Post by TradeMinistry » Tue May 27, 2008 2:19 am

A bit wiser now.

Thanks.