The random name gen in the training area

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Vizadjua

The random name gen in the training area

Post by Vizadjua » Wed May 07, 2008 9:50 am

Can anyone tell me if theres a way for me to get rid of the radom name that you get from the generator in the training area. I didnt know what it was going to do and now im stuck with some crap name. I dont want to have to start over so im hoping someone can give me some good news. Thanks.

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Wed May 07, 2008 10:22 am

With the name petitioning system, I assume you can petition for no first / last name.. unless you wanted to give yourself a name you like via it instead.

Try /name help when the servers are back up (at least I think that was the command :) )

Vizadjua

Post by Vizadjua » Wed May 07, 2008 10:24 am

ill give that a shot and see what happens

Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Post by Khuri » Wed May 07, 2008 11:03 am

If you need another random name, you can use those generators can be used multiple times.

Otherweise, as Ukblizzard said, the /name command can help you.
/name help
/name first NAME (set first name)
/name last NAME (set last name)

Vizadjua

Post by Vizadjua » Wed May 07, 2008 11:05 am

if i set the first and last name with the /name command will it let me give it a null string like "" or does it have to have characters in it?

Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Post by Khuri » Thu May 08, 2008 8:25 am

You logged on yet and tried it out? :)

Vizadjua

Post by Vizadjua » Thu May 08, 2008 1:51 pm

ok i went and tried it out and it turns out that the command is /name first remove it wont accept /name first "" or just /name first , you get an error. Thanks for your help though, you all gave me a place to start.

Scene
AOU Community Legend

Post by Scene » Mon May 12, 2008 12:31 pm

afaik the naming system is still broken and requires a /petition anyway, maybe you could do 1 requesting the removal of both forename and lastname

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu May 15, 2008 12:15 am

To be honest, I've NEVER had a problem with the naming commands (other than remembering them lol).
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Fourthaid
AOU Content Editor

Post by Fourthaid » Thu May 15, 2008 12:32 am

Snakebite wrote:To be honest, I've NEVER had a problem with the naming commands (other than remembering them lol).
Have you started a new char in the last year or so that you tried to get a first and last name for? ^^ Chances are it would never get changed and you'd have to /petition :)

Nadab

Post by Nadab » Fri May 16, 2008 8:45 pm

Just a FYI.... using /name first <name> and /name last <name> for the first time to INITIALLY name your character works fine... about 24 hours for it to appear in your "F1" "T" look....

However, to change your names if you want different ones.. you have to use the above commands, then wait 24 hours, then petition a GM to change them... the /name queue for name CHANGES is broken... as it has about 485K queues in front of you....

hope this helps.
Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich********Corporal, Omni-Pol Field Ops**********T-Sgt1C Omni-AF, 4th Fusiliers RST, retired"If I'm the agent Shai-hulud, where's my 10% ?"Roleplaying Profile of Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Sat May 17, 2008 5:11 pm

Quilluck wrote:
Snakebite wrote:To be honest, I've NEVER had a problem with the naming commands (other than remembering them lol).
Have you started a new char in the last year or so that you tried to get a first and last name for? ^^ Chances are it would never get changed and you'd have to /petition :)
Errr... Actualy, yes lol...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Anka

Post by Anka » Thu May 29, 2008 8:57 pm

Nadab wrote:Just a FYI.... using /name first <name> and /name last <name> for the first time to INITIALLY name your character works fine... about 24 hours for it to appear in your "F1" "T" look....

However, to change your names if you want different ones.. you have to use the above commands, then wait 24 hours, then petition a GM to change them... the /name queue for name CHANGES is broken... as it has about 485K queues in front of you....

hope this helps.
Last time I checked even the first time names bot didn't work. Only messages it gives are errors.

I also talked to GM when he was changing my name - he said they are trying to fix namesbot.
It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack. Not rationality.

Proud Advisor of

[img]http://members.shaw.ca/vince.aquilina/g ... /Sig_1.jpg[/img]

junjo

Post by junjo » Sat May 31, 2008 3:02 am

Just so I understand this post and what everyone is saying...I can change my nickname? I made an initial toon early on and then figured out the mistakes i was making cause i didnt have a clue how to allocate skill points, so i made another. i would really like to use the name from my first toon (which I deleted) for my current toon? Can this be done? Can i change my name with a petition? what classification of petition is that?
22 MP Sloob

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Sat May 31, 2008 8:19 am

Under level 20 you should be able to use /name commands to change your "nickname". But if that doesn't work or if you're already above lvl 20, you can petition it as a "question". There use to be a class named "name", but it's change to "name violations". You can try using that one as well, but there's risk of petition being seen as an abuse of the system.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians