Chat Window not showing chat

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Delbo

Chat Window not showing chat

Post by Delbo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:58 pm

For some reason, my chat window will quit displaying what people are saying. The first time I figured was my fault but the second time I left the chat options alone.

NOTE:
I've reinstalled the game twice with no errors on patches
GM told me to rename Prefs file ( didn't help )
The problem seemed to start after I subscribed and downloaded the large client.

If anyone's had this problem and knows how to fix it, please help.

Anyway, I'm going to start a new character "AGAIN" and hope it doesn't happen a third time..

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:58 pm

Starting a new character is not likely to resolve anything in my opinion.

Maybe we can try to help you out a bit and figure out what might be going wrong.

Firstly, which chat window are you losing the chat in? Is it your default chat window or a new window you have made for yourself?

When it happens, is the scroll bar (like the forum scroll bar) still in its default place and not accidentally moved when you clicked on your screen?

What type of messages do you seem to be losing? Tells? Team messages? Vicinity? or is it everything?

Hope you can either let us know you have resolved things or message again so we can try to help you out!!

Best wishes

Ukblizzard

Delbo

Post by Delbo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:13 pm

The chat windows normal with a new character and it won't take long to become level 10 again.

I only use the default chat window, wouldn't know what to do with a second. I'm new to the game.

I never noticed the scroll bar. I usually keep the chat window on transparent and use the mouse wheel to scroll.

I use to see - [Ne.Newbie.OCC] Delbo- talk talk chat chat
[Ne.Newbie.OCC] Ukblizzard- chat chat talk talk - in the chat window but now I don't. I can see all the other actions ( Vacinity chat, New mission, XP earned exc. exc. ).

The only thing I've touched in the chat options is to switch from vacinity to newbie-occ in the 'Talk to Channels' option.

What I did the first time the problem started is I tried the ignore option on an annoying player. Ill show you how I did it in case this is what's giving me the troubles.

1. Left clicked players name-- seems to add people to Friends window

2. Opened Friend window

3. Right clicked the same name and clicked ignore

Couldn't tell you how long I played untill I noticed people weren't talking to each other. So I checked the setting to see if I turn something off and didn't find anything. Then I noticed vacinity was set for chatting, I opened chat options, went to Talk to Channels and vacinity was the only choice , newbie-occ was no longer there.

My second character was fine earlier,I exited the game for a while, logged back in "crap" same problem ( Can't see other people chatting )except for one thing. The Talk to channel is showing both Newbie-OCC and Vacinity like it should.

I read something smowhere that the ignore I used will ignore all players, which is why I metioned what I did.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:22 pm

[Ne.Newbie.OCC] Ukblizzard- chat chat talk talk - in the chat window but now I don't. I can see all the other actions ( Vacinity chat, New mission, XP earned exc. exc. ).
Are you off the island??? You can't see this channel if you've gone to the mainland or are over a certain lvl...

Right click in the window, then select the new OOC channel you can see in the options...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

OTdude

Post by OTdude » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:29 pm

Try right clicking your chat window and click "Chat Options" or whatever. Then that way you can choose what chats you want in the window, as well as the chats you dont.

I believe you lose the Newbie Chat when you hit level 16+

then you will have [OT OOC]

Delbo

Post by Delbo » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 am

I got to lv 11 on the first character and was still on Newbie Isle,The second character made it to lv 5.

In the ' Subscribe to Channel' option, all the channel that were set by default remained the same, all but a couple.

Being low in lvl I decided to delete both characters and to keep the settings from bleeding to another character I deleted all information in the Prefs file. I've been playing 2 new toons with no problems and I've learned the correct way to ignore another player.
I'm pretty sure the problem was the Pilots fault but I wasn't paying attention,, so can't be sure.

I would like to thank those who responded to my delemma.

THANK YOU

xaatxuun

Post by xaatxuun » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:25 am

I didn't read any replies . . but you do Know after lvl 11 the newbi chat channel you can no longer use, it'll be gone from your choices.

So you will not be able to see any chat from there or be able to chat.

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:28 am

[Ne.Newbie.OCC] Ukblizzard- chat chat talk talk
Hey thats what I do on all channels I am on!

At any rate, glad you seem to have resolved things. Should you still have any issues, give us a shout here before doing anything drastic and hopefully someone will help to figure out a solution.

Have fun on Rubi ka!