Kicking it up a notch...

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

OlowNon

Kicking it up a notch...

Post by OlowNon » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:09 am

What are some good (and relatively inexpensive) ways to improve the combat effectiveness of a pistol-wielding adventurer (24th level), assuming he already has a good weapons and armor?

He already has the best defensive adventurer nanos he qualifies for (lesser wilderness protection and something of barbs), and I just purchased nanos to boost his agility and pistol proficiency. I also have the best heal-stims he could buy (although I might be able to knock it up a notch with a first-aid implant).

Basically, I'm finding myself slightly outmatched against Eumenides in the Subway when soloing, and I'd like to be able to wax him on my own before I can't re-enter the Subway at level 25.

Keep in mind that cash is tight by the standards of you high-level billionaries. :)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. - For the Ring of the Nucleus Basalis, what does the RTOF mean in "RFOT @ QL 21 for unlimited timespan"?

Ozzy Bourke

Post by Ozzy Bourke » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:03 pm

well, you havent mentioned youre implants. at 24, ql 50 implants are pretty simple to get on, usually needing just self buffs, and 70ish is entirely possible, but like you say, youre on a pretty tight budget. so getting ql 50's for some key skills, like pistol, strength, stamina and agility (as these will allow you to use better armour and weapons) as well as perhaps getting ones that buff youre most used nanoskills, which with adventurer would be bio met and matter met, i think. as for the rfot bit, havent got a clue mate :)

Frieloc

Post by Frieloc » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:33 pm

If you have enough NCU (if not twink NCU if you can :P ) get some OBs (outside buffs) such as RRFE (or lower version reflect shield), HnQ (Hack n Quack, or lower version long HoT from fixer), Behe (Essence of Behemoth, or lower version from Enfo), or a long term HP buff from a Doc (Sup Omni Med Enhancement or lower) any of those will help out greatly with smacking Eumenides around
Imatroxdoc, 188/12 Atrox Doctor, Omni, Squad Commander of Band of Little Brothers
Ruffixx, 136/13 Opifex Fixer, Omni, Unit Member of Obsidian Order

Former account open for now:
Imadoctor, 208/11 Solitus Doctor
Frieloc, 205/8 Soltius Adventurer

All Altantean.

Ozzy Bourke

Post by Ozzy Bourke » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:42 pm

yep, ob's will make euminedes effortless, but remember, they dont last forever whereas upgrading youre imps will have a beneficial effect regardless of if you can find an enforcer to pester or not :D both ways are worth trying, mind.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:58 am

I like to get Behemoth & GSF in the subway, fastest, biggest thing in there... *whoooooooosh...* :lol:

OlowNon

Post by OlowNon » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:44 am

Well, I've killed Eumenides solo twice now, once after another adventurer kindly turned me into a Wolf, and another time on my own. No Ring of the Nucleus Basalis ws found though (in fact once he dropped no loot at all!). :(

I ended up not making any major changes beyond what I'd already purchased, it seems those upgrades were just enough. That said, I may have to give up and move on to other things...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:08 pm

Don't give up it realy is a nice item & well worth several camping goes...
(it also sells quite well)

& I think you can wear 2 of them but don't quote me on this...

& at lvl200, 50NCU per ring is not to be sniffed at!

Jorgzen

Post by Jorgzen » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:22 pm

the last boss Abmouth is fun to kill with a team, did it first time with my lowbie doc, was fun :)

Ozzy Bourke

Post by Ozzy Bourke » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:26 pm

slot= right finger, so only one of them, and it caps at +20 ncu (i know itemsnet and auno etcetera say 50, but ingame, it actually caps at +20) Sorry :(

OlowNon

Post by OlowNon » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:45 pm

Well, the 3rd time was the charm, as I got the ring! I also killed Eumenides a 4th time, but didn't get a ring that time...

It seems to take him an hour or more in some cases to re-spawn. I was hoping for a 5th chance, but it got too late and I finally had to give up. I may give it one more try (in the hopes of having a ring to sell), but camping gets pretty boring, especially when the loot result is uncertain.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:30 pm

Ozzy Bourke wrote:slot= right finger, so only one of them, and it caps at +20 ncu (i know itemsnet and auno etcetera say 50, but ingame, it actually caps at +20) Sorry :(
Damnit! Twice!!
OlowNon wrote:but camping gets pretty boring, especially when the loot result is uncertain.
Camping plays a large part in this game, better get used to it now while the mobs you're camping are easy & the spawn times are ok & the droprates aren't infintesimal...!

OlowNon

Post by OlowNon » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:22 am

So, how do people pass the time while camping, and still keep themselves ready for action? Maybe I just need a better camping strategy. :D

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:39 am

I have a wrist watch (one of the old Casio G-Shocks, the DW-6600 (it's not made anymore unfortunatly)) with a stopwatch & an alarmed countdown timer on it.
I wait for a spawn, then when it's dead I wait for the name of the mob to change to 'Remains of ???' then start my stopwatch...
I keep a good amount of concentration & wait for the spawn again, then stop the stopwatch.
This gives me the spawn time, I then set my countdown timer for 1min less than the spawn time (24mins on a 25min spawn), kill the mob then wait for the name to change, start the count down timer, loot the body, then read a book till the alarm goes off, buff up, start again... :D

On mulit mob spawns, it's just a case of timing the first mob then doing the rounds, you just have a little less time to read between alarms...

Ozzy Bourke

Post by Ozzy Bourke » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:53 pm

similar to snakebite, stopwatch with alarm. in the period between kills, i usually watch some anime or listen to music, whatever floats my boat at the time.

Frieloc

Post by Frieloc » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:47 am

Stopwatches or alarms? You guys are hardcore :P

I just have a good sense of time and just talk to people on AIM with usually AO in the background so I can see if something pops or whatever anyways and I'm always blasting some sort of music to entertain myself.

Once I wrote an entire paper for school while camping a cluster of nearby dynas for a few hours :P
Imatroxdoc, 188/12 Atrox Doctor, Omni, Squad Commander of Band of Little Brothers
Ruffixx, 136/13 Opifex Fixer, Omni, Unit Member of Obsidian Order

Former account open for now:
Imadoctor, 208/11 Solitus Doctor
Frieloc, 205/8 Soltius Adventurer

All Altantean.