Subscription Benefits for Froobs ??

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Flight

Subscription Benefits for Froobs ??

Post by Flight » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:06 pm

Hi all

I must started playing again today after years. I played an MA to 66 at launch, but haven't played since.

Are there many benefits for Froobs in the first 30 or so levels, for subscribing ? Better equip / mission areas etc ?

Or is it wise not to subscribe until higher levels ?

I'm going to play an Engineer from scratch. Could anyone recommend any good links for me please, apart from the terrific guides on this site, about early levelling and where to go etc as an Eng.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:26 pm

Ok, It's obvious that English isn't your first language (although it's not too bad) so I'll try to keep this simple...

I wouldn't advise getting a subscription for the first Month of playing, it's going to take that long for you to get back into the game properly...

MA was a good choice for first character and I would advise you do that again while you learn the game again.
Engineers are not the hardest Proffs to play, but they're certainly not the easiest either, Plan an MA for a month then get yourself an Engineer...

After that month, if you still like the game, then get a subscription, in a team it is much easier to get xp in the Shadowlands (often more painful tho) and if you get the full subscription before you start your Engi then you can get your first 2 AI levels on n00b island.

Which Server are you on? Atlantian? Rimor? Die Neue Welt?
Maybe I can hook up with you, I have a lvl220 Tradeskill Engi...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Flight

Post by Flight » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:45 pm

Snakebite wrote:Ok, It's obvious that English isn't your first language (although it's not too bad) so I'll try to keep this simple...

I'm from Liverpool, so no my English isn't great ;) (mistyped just as must)

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I'm on Atlantean btw.

1) Where should I do level 1-30 (and which sub do those areas need -the $5 or the $15) ?

2) Do any decent guilds take low level members ?

Thanks again

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Flight wrote:I'm from Liverpool, so no my English isn't great ;) (mistyped just as must)
Ack... Sorry lol, I'm NE England myself...

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showth ... =chat+bots
There's the engi guide, try that...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:57 pm

Flight wrote:1) Where should I do level 1-30 (and which sub do those areas need -the $5 or the $15) ?
Where you level is entirely your choice. I am a firm believer that missions are the way to go in teh early levels - mainly because anything that resembles a dungeon that early on is basically seen for as long as it takes to get whatever items I really REALLY need from there and then never again (until I am stupid enough to make ANOTHER alt :D ) .. I think many others approach it quite similarly too.

The $5 per month is for just the Shadowlands expansion - therefore making you a sl00b instead of a fr00b!

The higher subscription per month will give you access to all expansions you have upgraded your account to. You cannot upgrade to all accounts and then just pay $5 for SL. You also cannot revert back to being a fr00b if you upgrade. As a side note though, I am pretty sure that being in England you pay in Euros when you are billed. Too long ago for me to remember.. or for me to want to dig out my credit card statements to check! heh
2) Do any decent guilds take low level members ?
Lots of guilds take low level members, I know we certainly do in Omni-Pol :) You should perhaps take a look at the guild database (over there linked on the left under tools!)

Just shout up if you have any more questions!!

Flight

Post by Flight » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks for the help and advice folks - it really is appreciated. :)

Do Shadowlands missions give you the tokens that vanilla AO gave for the neck item ?

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:25 pm

Nope, just RK missions and the Alien Mothership missions :)

Hahnsoo

Post by Hahnsoo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:51 am

I'd highly suggest leveling up a Froob character to at least TL4, before you go the "way of the SLoob". There's plenty of content to play before TL4 as a Froob (although I've leveled Froob characters to TL6 very easily), and it will help you get into the basics of the game (since a lot has changed since you played a while back). Also, expansion content really doesn't help you as much at those early levels from 1-100 and most vets just power level their way past it before equipping the stronger expansion equipment.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

Uragon
AOU Community Legend

Post by Uragon » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:59 am

The main benefits of starting up with a paid account are mainly the first few alien levels at low level (ICC island and still easy Lost Eden missions) and perks. Equip isn't that important, most likely you'll not be able to afford the really good Shadowlands stuff if you're starting from scratch.

Another major benefit of starting a character with the expansions is that you get a few bonus IP reset points. However, since you can now buy those reset points for either credits or victory points, that advantage fades slightly.

OTdude

Post by OTdude » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:20 pm

How do you buy the Reset Points agian anyway?

I remember something about that, but I asked a few friends and they dont know anything about them :-/

Uragon
AOU Community Legend

Post by Uragon » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:50 am

The OFAB vending machines in tower shops stock them for victory points (Lost Eden expansion needed). The ones you buy for credits can be bought from Jobe Hardware shops (Shadowlands expansion needed). You can also loot them off the Artillery Commander in Sector 42 of the Outzones (Alien Invasion expansion and a raid force needed).

Scene
AOU Community Legend

Post by Scene » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:12 pm

bear in mind they cost 50k Victory Points or 250m credz base cost (about 165m with 1600+ CL)... Each