Backpacks -- details please

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

OlowNon

Backpacks -- details please

Post by OlowNon » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:01 am

Since backpacks came up tangentially in another thread, I thought I'd make a separate post:

1. Do backpacks drop often as loot? So far I've bought 1 from a shop ($3,000 or so for a medium pack if I recall), and was kind of disappointed by the fact that it only has like 21 slots.

2. How do the more expensive ($15,000?) backpacks that have nano tech work? It's inferred that many of them turn low QL items of a specific type into high(er) QL items, but it would be nice to know the details...

3. Is there any problem with loading yourself down with too much stuff? I.e., does it ever effect your speed/combat skills?

Sferykal

Re: Backpacks -- details please

Post by Sferykal » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:58 am

OlowNon wrote:1. Do backpacks drop often as loot? So far I've bought 1 from a shop ($3,000 or so for a medium pack if I recall), and was kind of disappointed by the fact that it only has like 21 slots.
They don't drop as loot ever. At least I haven't seen any drop, yet. Having 20 more slots in your inventory (one less, because the backpack uses it up) or not having 20 more is a big difference!
OlowNon wrote:2. How do the more expensive ($15,000?) backpacks that have nano tech work? It's inferred that many of them turn low QL items of a specific type into high(er) QL items, but it would be nice to know the details...
Uh? No. Backpacks don't transform any of your items. You can use the ones which give some bonuses for getting other items on, though :) Other than that you have the advantage of an icon marking the content, means you don't need to check through every backpack what is in there (or hover over them if you labeled them already).
OlowNon wrote:3. Is there any problem with loading yourself down with too much stuff? I.e., does it ever effect your speed/combat skills?
Never heard about something like this. AO is a game for packrats! :D

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:32 am

3. Is there any problem with loading yourself down with too much stuff? I.e., does it ever effect your speed/combat skills?
In the early years of AO, there WAS a weight system, and once people started filling backpacks....they could not move, FC realized that even tho weight was a realistic feature...it was not practical for players...so they removed/deactivated the feature.
Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.

Unkala

Re: Backpacks -- details please

Post by Unkala » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:23 pm

OlowNon wrote:2. How do the more expensive ($15,000?) backpacks that have nano tech work?
If a backpack gives a stat bonus, you have to equip it to gain the bonus, which means not only raising your Adventuring skill, but also giving up the protection of a real piece of back armor. It's rarely worth it.

You do not need to put a backpack on to use it as a container. You can have any number in your inventory and put stuff in all of them.
It's inferred that many of them turn low QL items of a specific type into high(er) QL items, but it would be nice to know the details...
I'm not sure what you read, but it's totally wrong.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:04 pm

All Backpacks hold 21 spaces, so if you're short of cash go for the plain Small Backpack.

However, the main idea now with different Backpacks is that it allows you to have packs that look different in your bank to make it easier to catigorise & find things...

Backpacks can also be renamed, open the pack & in the little window there will be an i in the top left corner, clicking on this will give you a list to chose from (one of which will be the rename feature), so you can further order your bank.

In my oppinion, FC is WAAAAY overdue for creating more Backpack Icons. More Icons would help orginising your bank much easier...

OlowNon

Post by OlowNon » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:48 am

So if all backpacks have 21 slots, isn't it a bit misleading to name them large, medium and small (now that the kilogram limits are irrelevant)? I only bought the medium pack for extra space; seems I wasted $2,650... :cry:

The large backpack descriptions certainly make it sound like there's more to the backpacks than there really is. For example:

But what you guys are saying is that this is just meaningless gloss, and there aren't really bots that do anything in the pack.

Is money so meaningless to high level players that a "large" backpack with a picture on it is worth the extra $14,150 for the convenience value?

Anyway, thanks for setting me straight.

Banguela
AOU Webcomic Artist

Post by Banguela » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:51 am

OlowNon wrote: Is money so meaningless to high level players that a "large" backpack with a picture on it is worth the extra $14,150 for the convenience value?

Anyway, thanks for setting me straight.
A Robust Backpack is worth 1.5bil, just an example.

So, yes, 14k is meaningless for high lvl players.

I have more than 15 bags in bank empty that used to have crap from my low lvl times. It will probably get deleted anytime I'm bored enough to check my bank.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:25 pm

I'm afraid that 14,150Creds isn't even pocket change...

Example:
A lvl200 set of Carbonum Plates (for carbonum armour) will put you back over 1million... & this is just basic armour...!
Some of the endgame nanos can only be bought, & some of them cost 20mill each...
A lvl200 BioComm (for making monster parts into plasma) costs nearly 1mill... (& if you accidently use it on a 'half digested body part' you will lose it & need another!!!)...
My Engi is currently looking at a lvl200 Symbiant that if she buys it will cost her 25mill...

However...

If you do a lvl200 RK Team Mission Solo & loot everything that's not bolted down & then sell it all to an omni shop you can make up to about 5mill per mission (how I've made most of my cash) & you also have the chance of turning up a rare item or 3 which will sell seperately for decent money...

Or go killing lvl50 Dyna mobs, & hope for a Shape Hard Armor or a Shape Soft Armor thingy which also sells for stupid money (my Engi needs both but I realy don't wanna pay the horrid amount for them... (then ppl wonder why Engis charge so much to make items ROFLMFAO!!!)

And so on...

Donnerjak

Post by Donnerjak » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:29 pm

Seems like inflation run amuck. Not that I am complaining ... much. I had 100,000 saved up once upon a time, but then blew most of it on upgrading my implants. 45,000 for a "cast off" level 39 weapon .... C'est a little crazy, if you ask me. Which you didn't.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:44 pm

100,000... *sigh...* I remember being impressed at having that much cash.

Then it was 1,000,000...
Then it was 50,000,000...
Then it was 100,000,000...
Now it's 150,000,000...
Which I'm nearly at
& next it will be 200,000,000

I'd have made it to 200,000,000 nearly now if I hadn't blown 50mill (ish) on Symbiants & a couple of not too rare nanos.
(By the way, I've spent the last 9 months getting to this possition, I know, I'm slow... lol)

Now before all you fr00bs out there die off thru choking, this still isn't 'stupid money'... A DChest (chest armour off the dragon Taresque) sells for 400,000,000... & I know about 4 ppl that have bought one, & I know 1 person that has SOLD 2 of them & he's looking for a third to finance his next ?âãÆ?àÔÇ£berness enhancing set of items...
I also know that at least a couple of fr00bs have managed to get hold of these & sold them...1!!!!!11!!!!oneoneone!!!

So all is not lost, however it would probably be easier to aim for less valuable items for ease of obtaining it & sanity.

Donnerjak

Post by Donnerjak » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:26 pm

I suppose I could adopt 50's motto -- "Get rich or die trying" -- but I'm playing to have fun. I'm not going to stress out if I have to buy my armor at the Gap and my weapons at Wal-Mart. Wear a trench coat and no one can tell that your armor doesn't match.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:01 am

My philosophy totaly, this is probably why I have the amount I have...

Trust me, I have not gone out & run around scrabbling for any cash I can get, it's all been done slowly & steadily over 9 months...

OlowNon

Post by OlowNon » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:16 am

A Robust Backpack is worth 1.5bil, just an example.
Banguela, did you really mean "billion"? How many players have 1.5 billion credits (or more)?

Chad
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Chad » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:56 am

lots and lots of players have even more.. some ppl are very lucky ;)

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:34 pm

Yup, Billion... (American Billion that is..) 1,000,000,000
As oposed to English Billion 1,000,000,000,000 (Don't ask me why we do it like this, hey, we got rid of pounds, shillings & pence, what more do you want??? :lol: )