Repeated Patching

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

LarryAng

Repeated Patching

Post by LarryAng » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:24 am

I feel bad about seeking technical help here, but my situation is a bit unusual.

I downloaded the free client without problems. Ran it for the first time and let the patcher do its thing. I am now completely patched. All the files are the patches folder. However, every time I try to start, the game insists that I still need to patch before I can enter any game. I let it go ahead and launch the patcher a couple more times. The patcher figures out that its already patched in a round-about way and during this cycle I usually have to accept the end-user agreement twice. But ultimately, I end up where I started, and I am prompted to patch again.

It seems that I'm missing something obvious, but my search for answers has been so far fruitless.

Uragon
AOU Community Legend

Post by Uragon » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:31 pm

Did you install the game client using a different user account than the one you're using to run the game? I.e. installed as administrator, then ran the client/patcher as a regular user?
After successful patching, the Patcher folder can even be empty if you're not taking backups of the downloaded files.

Generally, you need full read/write permissions to the folder that Anarchy Online is installed in as well as all subdirectories.

Hope that helps, even though it's just a stab in the dark. :)

LarryAng

Post by LarryAng » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:28 pm

thanks

I am running with administrator powers, but I have noticed that all the folders in my AO directory are marked read-only. Of course, looking at a couple of other folders containing programs, it's universal. However, I read somewhere that someone had trouble with custom GUI because their prefs folder was read-only.

Also, my patches folder has the patches in it, but they don't seem to register with the program.

I may try playing with manual patching for a bit and see how that turns out.

Hahnsoo

Post by Hahnsoo » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:03 pm

If you are running on Vista, turn off User Access Control and/or get that AO directory out of Program Files.

AO has problems with serial patching. At around the 17.0 patch series, it starts to crap out if you try to patch multiple times in a row without closing the client. Close the client after each patch, and you should be fine.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

LarryAng

Post by LarryAng » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:04 pm

Hello, I've sorted it out and I am now able to play.

Closing the client after each patch was good advice.

Thank you kindly.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:19 am

I must be lucky, I never back up, don't bother closing, just keep hitting the button lol.

Nice to know you can play tho... :D
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

ISAWHIM

Post by ISAWHIM » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Seriously, after about two hours of downloading the game, and another two hours of "Patching", you would think that they would be kind enough to create leveled patches...

(Latest Base)
V 17.00.00 {+720Mb}

(Latest Patch)
V 17.00.00 - V 17.05.00 {+30Mb}

(Prior Upgrades -> Latest)
V 17.00.09 -> V 17.05.00 {+29Mb}
V 17.01.02 -> V 17.05.00 {+24Mb}
V 17.02.85 -> V 17.05.00 {+17Mb}

(Prior Base Downloaded -> Latest)
V 16.00.00 -> 17.00.00 {+84Mb}
V 15.00.00 -> 17.00.00 {+89Mb}
V 14.00.00 -> 17.00.00 {+120Mb}

(Below V 14, you have no choice but to get a higher version first.)

Would be even better, if it allowed localized play, until you are patched. Where you would just not connect with those on the latest update, until you have slowly been updated, in your AFK or IDLE time on the server.

Even better, only have actual GAME-CORE updates that are needed prior to play. Once in-game, your next set of upgrades is determined by your status. (If you can not access "Delirum", because you are a "Free player", then you never need that update. If you can not access, use, see, "Alien Invasions", then none of those graphics, missions objects, levels, scripts, are downloaded.)

Funny, I watched the upgrade Download ALL the content, but it still had to keep going back for each step of the upgrade.

16.00 -> 17.06 (One huge download... showed files 16.01 -> 17.06)
However, it only upgraded, at this point, to 16.01

Then it connected again... Downloaded the next set of install commands, but the files were already there! (Redundant re-login.)

I watched it get the upgrade info for 16.01 -> 17.06...
However, it only upgraded, at this point, to 16.02

Arg, this was a horrible upgrade process!

Funny, For the whole first two days, I never left the intro island...

Seriously, they couldn't just make a (Starter) version, where you download that "Sand-Box tutor", while the next part of the game downloads in the background?

Since you cant go BACK to the first island, you only need about 1/100th of the items, images, scripts, objects, maps, etc...

If they forced you to stay there until you were X level, (Should be level 10, and give you deeper missions away from the (Public) island, and have more (Offline), single-person missions that need to be completed first. So that keeps less people on the server, and while you play those missions, the files you will need next, can be downloaded without causing game-play issues.

(Only the levels you gain, should be passed with you to the next world.)

The coin/gold should be a special currency, only good for that island. The items should be "Quarantined" since they may contain alien-viruses or plague. You should be GIVEN a starter set of armor/tools/weapons, based upon your class, as you enter the "Real Game".

That would stop useless play-bots, and also help those who transport too early, without learning anything, and are too low of a level, to finish even the most simple tasks. Even at level 9, it took me a while to get use to the world, and missions. (I still have most of my island stuff, and an inventory FULL of things that I don't even know if they are valuable, useless, usable, important, or whatever. Not that I am a pack-rat, but it all looks like it MAY be important, but the descriptions are so vague, I am unsure.)

I love the game though, once I got into it. (Few annoying glitches and programming issues, but not much of a bother.)

Now if I could just get them to rename the "Whoom Pah" names, so they actually correspond with the map-names they give, I would be a little less confused. (Having mild "Mission Directions" would help also... Telling you, if in the starting place... "Travel to ICC", "Travel to Athen", "Travel to Bliss". "Your mission starts there.") Though, the "Helper info" could vanish as you get higher in levels, since you will have familiarity, and access to the grid. I still cant find a grid that I can use, and those missions are a LONG walk in the park!

Would be nice to see the "Grids" say above them... "GRID A-50", "GRID B-75", "GRID C-100", (Possibly color-coded, for a visual indication at a distance. EG, Grid A-50, being one that can be accessed by level 50+ level people.)

Would also be nice if the entrances were "Click to use", as opposed to just teleporting you, when it happens to notice that you are standing in one. I often go no-where... think it is broke... step away... start traveling around town... then 2 minutes later, get teleported to the place I tried to go, when I stepped in the door-way 2 minutes prior, where I am not at, at the time I get teleported.

Ok, just had to get that off my chest here, since the forums at anarchy-online don't work for me... (It won't create a forum account, no matter what I try. They know of the issue, and are working on it... Seems it is happening to a lot of new people. So don't expect to see a lot of people log-in into the forums there. Try directing them here, since this is a better site to use anyways.)

See you online, possibly...

ISAWHIM