How do I find my son

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

FluffyDucky

How do I find my son

Post by FluffyDucky » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:52 pm

My son and I both created AO accounts and have been playing for about a week but we can't seem to find each other in game.

We both have characters in Rimor (Rubi-Ka 2).

We get on-line together an go to the same spot but can not see each other. We are on each others friends list and can chat but that is it. Both computers are in the same room so we can look at each others screens to be sure we are in the same locaion but despite trying several times over several days we just can't find each other.

How do we find each other in game?

Ozzie585

Post by Ozzie585 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:27 am

Interesting Problem. I play with my wife every day on Rimor. If we did not log out at the same physical location , we meet at the same shop. Never once have I encountered a problem where I was looking at the same outdoor physical location and we saw different populations. I humbly suggest...

1. One person log in both accounts, looking for specific details :
a. server <--this really has to be it***
b. character name
c. appearance, and is either character sneaking/cloaked/hiding

2. Try sending a tell between the characters
a. do you get an error?
b. do you see the tell on the recieving character?

3. Go to a geographic location where there are other people and compare
a. Borealis grid drop
b. Borealis whompa drop

4. one idea is to go to settings/visual and expand your character view distance to max for the duration of the test/problem, to be sure your just not drawing the other character due to a very small character draw radius setting

5. You can press F9 to see the game name for your current playfield. Maybe your both in starter playfields that fill up and create mirrors. Exit the starter playfields to meet.

Best of luck

Oz

Hahnsoo

Post by Hahnsoo » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:03 am

The beginner island is instanced. This means that you may not be in the same "instance" as your son. To meet him, head to the Teleport Tower and team up with him there. While the Teleport Tower can also be instanced, it often isn't due to the low population in that area.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

OTdude

Post by OTdude » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:24 am

I have once had this problem when I'm duel logging.

but its on 1 screen i dont see my alt, but on the other i do.

Try logging on first, meet at RBB or something, then shortly have your son log on after, meet at the same place, have the "show all names" thingy on to make sure you can see who's there.

And like Hanshoo said, Set the "View Character Distance" to either max or abour half way, depending on your computer hardware.

If the problem is still there, ask a ARK or report to the support email FC has for the game. I forgot the email address, sorry.