Article: Froob For Life #1: A Tale of Two Anarchies

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Hahnsoo

Article: Froob For Life #1: A Tale of Two Anarchies

Post by Hahnsoo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:39 pm

This thread is to discuss the Article: "Froob For Life #1: A Tale of Two Anarchies"
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

Dabblez

Post by Dabblez » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:42 pm

I loved the article.

Duals

Post by Duals » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:58 am

Wow, great writing. This helped me congeal some ideas along the same vein. I think Froobs tend to be in it for the fun first and make an effort to keep it that way. I don't want to paint things in black and white either, or start a flame war between sloobs and froobs, but I do think that froobs contribute a very valuable portion of the thriving AO community, that helps draw in new players, both free and paying.

Great start! :D

Stillian

Post by Stillian » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:34 am

Very interesting. I must disagree with the thought of the official boards representing the community at large, since only an estimated 10% read the boards, 5% have setup an account, and 2% use the boards...

Still, aside from that, I think you have a fair few points. It does remind me of why I enjoyed playing for free, and why I always wondered if I could move back, wondering if I could do it.

Literally, the article pulled me along and was written very, very well. It was interesting not just because of it's contents.

Very well written, and much appreciated :)
Stillian, 217/19 Doctor of Hells Heroes

former AOU Researcher

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:13 pm

Great article!

However...
Stillian wrote: 10% read the boards, 5% have setup an account, and 2% use the boards...
Mind telling me the source of these percentages bud?
Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.

ITNinja

Post by ITNinja » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:27 am

Good job mate. Nice read and I believe you hit the nail on the head.
Dicenslice 220/21 Keepah
Rootcommand 219/21 Fixer
General of NA

Albyon

Froob For Life #1: A Tale of Two Anarchies

Post by Albyon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:49 am

Well spoken. Even thought I do have two paid accounts, I have found that keeping to my Froob roots and mindset have gotten me farther in the game than anything else.
Deo "Findsu" Gratis - Atrox Adventurer - Atlantean RK1 (Newcomers Alliance)

[img]http://imagehost.guildcafe.com/badge/badge-19597.gif[/img]

Orto

Post by Orto » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:10 pm

Excellent article, I agreed with all the sentiments and you expressed what I had been thinking. But you are a traitor... :P
Dark Master Hahnsoo, Witch King of RBA and Emperor of the Nascent Floob Nation wrote: However, unless FunCom dumps a free lifetime account in my lap, I'll probably be froob for life and loving it.
Indeed.

Weeping Willow

Post by Weeping Willow » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:49 pm

:shock: :lol:

Ozzie585

Post by Ozzie585 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:42 pm

I enjoyed the article. Throughout all the online games I have played (AW1, LoK, AC, AO, Wow and EQ2) I have always played my own way to have fun , refusing to conform to the established 'railroad track' path to success. As a Froob, you can do an awful lot: the game is complicated, the crafting system detailed and vast, and the game lore and social interaction are seasoned with age. In many games (WoW in particular) when you leave the 'railroad track', the do your own thing list gets quite thin. As a froob or sloob your options require a list to keep track of, especially if you haven't played every day since release heh.

I myself pay, and have the expansions. I also rotate back to a different game when the one I'm playing gets old or frustrating. I have never minded paying for a hobby. When I shoot, I pay for ammo and range time; when I bowl I pay for the lane. I think there is something special, separate from the cash, that's involved in dedicated froobness. What's funny is Hahnsoo would most likely use a full Funcom donated "special citizen" account reward much more than anyone else I have met, he has mastered the core game so completely, and helped so many people through his advice and knowlege. If Funcom does ever do something like that, If Hahnsoo isn't at least in the top 3 finalists I'll be annoyed :-P