Coppied from my Post in Official FC Forums...

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Coppied from my Post in Official FC Forums...

Post by Snakebite » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:29 am

Well, last night I had the nano crystal 'Nullity Sphere MK II' in my player shop priced at 100Mill (just to see what happened)

(before someone jumps the gun here, yes I know it was set at 100Mill for definate because I checked for it at a search terminal in OA just before I logged off...)

Today I log on & find some considerate person (won't name them cos apparently you're not allowed to) had sent me a tell warning me about the fact that I was selling it for 10Mill when the current price was 50Mill.

Obviously when I got to my shop someone had bought it... It sold for 10,000,003Credits.

I know about the bug that causes the incorrect item to be priced & it wasn't that, only 2 items have been added to my shop since Nullity Sphere was put in & neither of them have been for 10,000,003credits (also remember I checked at a search terminal last night).

So, somehow, amazingly, the price has changed on this item while I was logged out.

I would be anoyed at this sort of thing in any case, but I've been playing now for about 8 months & have a yearly payed account, but I'm not rich. The most money I've ever had at one time is 120Mill (& I would expect that I've only had 200Mill over my accounts full life) & that was earned the hard way, mostly by looting everything that wasn't nailed down in missions & selling it (at some bodily risk) to omni map terminals.

& the one time I get an item that's worth decent money, I get screwed out of it by a bug...! Which looks to be a variation on a bug that has been ingame for quite some time (probably since the shops appeared), that FC has failed to bother themselves with fixing.

The thing that realy bugs me about this is...

Am I expecting FC to do anything about this? Answer: *has a good laugh...* NO.

I've no doubt it will all turn out to be my fault in the end.

I'm just hoping that I don't give the ARK that comes to my petition too much of a hard time about it. (but it will be interesting to see what will be said to me... In a sort of morbid way)

As you can probably tell, I'm not the happiest of campers at the moment, I'm seriously considering dumping the game *wishes I hadn't got the yearly subscription now (seemed like such a good idea at the time...)*.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not thinking of this because of a lousy 90Mill, but because of FCs ability to happily ignore bugs like this & leave them sitting there... It may be just a game, but game or not, some of us work damn hard to get to the positions we are at (not that I'm in any way an uber player or anything) & this sort of crap realy does not add to the 'fun' of the game.

I've always (up till now) backed FC & their 'hand tied' ARKs fully, but ... ... meh, I dunno...

AO is the best game I've ever played, wonderfuly thought up & with great ppl playing it, I've made a lot of friends.

Well, I've kind of run out of steam now, & I apologise for the rant guys & gals, but I just had to get it off my back.

Edit/ The ARK came just as I was about to post this, actualy it wasn't interesting at all, he didn't say a single thing about it, just that he was escalating it & that I shouldn't delete the petition (but I could log out).

What this means is anyones guess.

More instalments later (assuming this thread isn't summeraly deleted).
:cry:

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:25 am

More instalments later (assuming this thread isn't summeraly deleted).
Since you're a moderator, and I placed you in that position...why would a post be deleted if you're the one in charge of watching the forums? :P
Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:13 pm

No, as the title says, it's a direct copy from the FC Forums...

They didn't delete it (so far) but they did close it... lol.

& I've not logged into the game since I logged out again last night (not long after the ARK came (online about an hour in total (normaly ingame for several hrs aday)).

To be honest, I realy don't feel like logging in to day eather but I suppose I'll go say hi to the Org... :(

On a vaguely humorous side... The ARK that closed the thread said that it was the most polite rant he'd ever seen... :?
Damn, it sucks to be English sometimes lol.

Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Post by Khuri » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:19 pm

Well, i wonder on such things, why the producer of the game is always the arse when they "do not feel like fixing errors" - i mean, by his own description, a "bug" (if it is one after all) only seems to appear one in a million trades.
How you want to get ahold of such thing really, if it is that rare...?

And the old question comes up then: Can he prove that he set the price to 100mill really? No he can't, how should he really. Should FC give him his "lost money" back? No, why should they without a proof (logical, isn't it?) - should FC go and hunt down that "error"? I don't know how they manage such things, but if it happens one in a million times, it's probably pretty hard...

Like this one bug in M$ program Excel, that made the program just crash when you typed a specific number in a specific field on the table. It took them about 9 years to realise that bug exists, and to fix it... :roll:

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:46 pm

Hard to verify such things.

I remeber when there was a bug that warped you over the boss room when using button in late 2002 (bear with me, I'm old person). Of course once on top of boss room, you could look down on boss, but couldn't attacked it. Players complained about it on forums, but noone waited for ARKs, they all either grided or terminated. After 1 month I had enough of that and petitioned. I waited around 3 hours for ARK, who almost missed me. When grided out, he MTed me : I can verify that....What I was trying to say is that even with most visual bugs, reproducing and verifying them can be hard.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Eomaia

Post by Eomaia » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:51 am

Anarchy Online is rife with bugs and erm..."undocumented features". Everyone knows this, including Funcom itself. When Funcom fixes bugs and issues patches to correct them, they don't do it to put out every single fire that pops up. If they did this, we would have to sit through a patch screen once or maybe even twice a week.

Funcom reviews the complaints in the forums, comments made on the test servers, common /petitions, bug reports, etc. They have to determine the priority of the bugs commonly reported and have to ascertain which bugs can slide and which ones will present a genuine problem. Such as bugs that can seriously hinder game play (not being able to use a nano recharger after removing a battle suit and zoning/relogging, for example) or could be used to exploit the system (like the infamous org bank bug that org presidents exploited a few years ago to make a disgusting sum of money.) Then they have to compile a list of bugs that can be fixed within a reasonable amount of time, which requires the least amount of recoding, what requires more research, testing bug fixes on the QA and test servers, etc. It is not a simple matter of erasing the wrong letter from a crossword and scribbling in the correct answer.

All you can really do is be patient, hope that Funcom address your bug sooner than later, and rely on the graces of a few players out there that look out for others best interests.
Nanomage Meta-Physicist, Level 207, Section 4 (on contract with Chaotic Order,) Atlantean (RK1)

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:02 am

Khuri wrote:And the old question comes up then: Can he prove that he set the price to 100mill really? No he can't, how should he really. Should FC give him his "lost money" back? No, why should they without a proof (logical, isn't it?)
Hmmm, I may not have been too clear about this...
The person that posted this thread on the official forums was me...!

That being said, I didn't say that they should replace 'my 90mill' (prices for items are subjective any way...) & neither did I expect them to (I know how the system works).
However, I did sugest that I could possibly be given a replacement for the nano (in return for the 10,000,003 credits of course). We will see what they say about that idea in due course I expect.

Yes, it was priced at 100mill when I logged out, yes it had sold for 10,000,003 when I logged back in... go figure...

Eomaia

Post by Eomaia » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:25 am

I hope the problem gets resolved to your satisfaction. You know how weird Funcom is when it comes to exchange of items and money between two players...
Nanomage Meta-Physicist, Level 207, Section 4 (on contract with Chaotic Order,) Atlantean (RK1)

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:49 pm

Well, so far... Nothing (which also doesn't supprise me) but we'll see...

It would have been anoying to have misspriced the thing myself, but this happening while I was offline, well... :evil:

Ludozee

Post by Ludozee » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:07 am

Maybe a bit on the late side, but did you use "set price" to price the item, or just clicked it and put the price in?

The latter is known to cause troubles like this (especially the 10.000.003 looks suspicious :)

Hyperion

Post by Hyperion » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:34 am

If a petition is being escalated Then its being bumped up to someone who may have the power to help you. Or its being sent to the devs. I would check in on your character every now and again. My own advice since i have had simular things happen when i accidently deleted a few 64 ncu memories. It got bumped up and someone of far higher rank took care of it. I dont know how ark works really but if its getting bumped up the chain its getting someone's full attention.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:13 am

No joy...

didn't expect any cash but asked if I could get the item replaced in return for the cash that was given for it. No joy there either...

Basicaly it's a case of... Bug or not (& they didn't say it was) it's tough luck & I have to deal with it even tho it isn't my fault...

Typical...