Probably another aimed shot question

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Rynseeria

Probably another aimed shot question

Post by Rynseeria » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:35 am

If this has been asked before and I don't see it, my apologies. I'm accustomed to melee professions, and I'm sort of a newb when it comes to aimed shot. I've asked this a few dozen times in OOC in game, with no response, so here goes.

The description for aimed shot skill in the skills windows says "the higher your skill in aimed shot the more effective these special attacks will be". Now, atm at level 33 my aimed shot damage is all over the place, ranging from hitting the max my weapon will hit for on a normal shot (252 or so), sometimes a regular crit (440-550?) and on the rare occasion it will nail 750ish, and on even more rare occasion I've witnessed a 1k AS. Atm I've got 403 in aimed shot skill thanks to scope, comp. ranged special, and imps, and there's quite a bit of a gap between where the lil blue bar is and where it could be if I dumped a level or so of IP into it.

Question being, does having higher aimed shot skill increase the chance of me hitting those higher numbers of damage I've witnessed from it? Just would like to know before I go burning a level of IP to max it... Because I don't much care for those lower numbers, but that 1k blew my mind, as well as the cultist's head wide open *grins*

-Rynseere
Never threaten unless you're ready to deliver...
Rynseere's Hunting Gear

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:06 am

Yes, higher your aim shot skill, higher damage it will do.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Rynseeria

Post by Rynseeria » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:22 am

Awesome thanks, blew the ip and yup, definitely less of those 250's and more of those higher digits :D Thanks much!
Rynseere's Hunting Gear

Stillian

Post by Stillian » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:03 am

Much as I like it when people experiment, I would really suggest you move to a more Adventurer specific line of weaponry. Pistols or 1HE will hold you in much better stead and cause you far less in the way of headaches with your character. Bow is simply not much of an Advy skill, and you're soon going to find it difficult to maintain.

Best regards,
- Stillian
Stillian, 217/19 Doctor of Hells Heroes

former AOU Researcher

Rynseeria

Post by Rynseeria » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:09 pm

Yup, I knew that that would be coming eventually, what with the always fun to hear "WTFBowAdvy?" I hear in teams on occasion :P Truth be told, I have both a sword-slinger and a pistolero adventurer. I really only posted in this particular forum because I truly am a noob to aimed shot :shock: . One day was thinking how cool it would be to really take the adventurer/hunter feel to a toon with a bow. No, I'm not expecting to reach 220 with my bow advy, but I can have fun along the way *grins* Sure the mechanics for it are really messed up, having to track down all non-mp or ma bow buffing goodies, and the lack of bow being in any of the "champion of" AI perk lines (why is that anyways...), completely custom imp-sets etc. , but nonetheless, I <3 the challenge :D . Thank you for kindly wording your reply by the way Stillian, most people just shout "WTFBowAdvy!? Gimp! :evil:
Rynseere's Hunting Gear

Stillian

Post by Stillian » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:17 am

I am a Doctor, and I've been a Doctor a long time. Odd weapon choices, are not an oddity, not anymore :P:P

As long as you're happy with your own decision, that's the only important bit :)

former AOU Researcher

Nadab

Post by Nadab » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:47 am

Bow is not in any of the Champion lines because it is in the Ranger Perk line... just found that on my MP yesterday...
Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich********Corporal, Omni-Pol Field Ops**********T-Sgt1C Omni-AF, 4th Fusiliers RST, retired"If I'm the agent Shai-hulud, where's my 10% ?"Roleplaying Profile of Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

Norbal
AOU Content Editor

Post by Norbal » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:59 am

Nadab wrote:Bow is not in any of the Champion lines because it is in the Ranger Perk line... just found that on my MP yesterday...
Sadly MP only gets to 6 in line...

Anyways, would be quite nice to have Ranger opened to other support profs that use bow, or have bow added to Champion of Light Artillery.
Norbal - 215/14 Clan NM MP (RK 2)

Yes, I rolled a nanomage MP for my main.

Researcher of AOU

Stillian

Post by Stillian » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:28 pm

Bow is one of the most powerful PvP weapons of the moment, and making it more widespread would just create problems. The professions that can use bow, normally do well, and I don't see why it should be spread around more.

former AOU Researcher

Uragon
AOU Community Legend

Post by Uragon » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:52 am

Hmm, the only really powerful bows are profession locked. MAs still run around with that silly Rubi-Ka bow with 0.01s swap time, and MPs run around capping 40% through cocoon on Enforcers and wonder why their left hand weapon is suddenly more powerful than their nanos and pets together.

Stillian

Post by Stillian » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:29 pm

Superior Sapphistic, the only weapon for the real Doctor! (who, uh, wants to like like they're constipated when afk'ing :P)

former AOU Researcher