Plz help me about ports and connecting to dimensions.

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Gotmilk

Plz help me about ports and connecting to dimensions.

Post by Gotmilk » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:15 pm

Hello i am new to this thing. I live in the house wich belongs to my school. I rent a little room from there. So do other students. They started downloading stuff via Bittorrent so the internet connection was very slow. Then came the administrator and closed ftp, torrent and other ports. And after closing them i am unable to play any multiplayer game. It did not bother me at first but i recently found out that Anarchy Online is for free. So i downloaded free client. I have the game on my computer but the problem is that i am unnable to connect any server. I know its because the administrator closed all the ports and he is not very nice guy hes not gonna open them for me. So my question is Can i somehow redirect the ports so i could play games online again. And if yes then how can i redirect ports. How can i wach wich ports are closed and etc.....

I would really appreceate your help. I have never played MMORPG before. And now i want to play AO and i am unable.
Anyway thank you for reading my problem and i help that some of u can help me out on this.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:20 pm

If the Admin won't open any port then you're pretty much screwed I think...

About your best bet would be to go to the guy who runs the school & tell him that the games you play are a form of recreation that allows you to unwind. It's a long shot but he may get the Admin to open what you need...

As to port redirecting, not sure if it can be done for AO but there are some good techy ppl here & I'm sure they'll be able to tell you.

Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Post by Khuri » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:31 pm

To find out what ports are opened at least currently on the server/router, there are portscanners to do this.
Note, these scanners just find currently opened ports, this means ports that are currently in use. I'm using the free program SuperScan 3 often for checks, you can download it -here- for example. It is pretty easy to use.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:58 am

Thinking about it, couldn't you use a personal fire-wall to test for open ports?