Patch - 17.8 Preview!!

Newsentries to be discussed

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Patch - 17.8 Preview!!

Postby Ukblizzard » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:41 am

The Community News over at the Official AO Site has been updated with the 17.8 Preview Patch Notes!!

Herein, a preview of the upcoming 17.8 Update.

The 17.8 game update will bring with it a great series of new content and system additions.

New Dust Brigade Team Instance ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ Inside the Machine!

The Dust Brigade menace continues to expand as their mysterious plans on Rubi-Ka are explored further. News has reached the ICC of unusual activity beneath the crust of the planet itself. What exactly are the Dust Brigade up to and what is behind their continued interest in ancient Xan technology?

This new team instance designed for high level players will bring with it a new and exciting challenge as players can take the latest Dust Brigade commander within a great new environment that will present its own unique challenges.

New PVP Ranking Systems

As mentioned in the recent Letter from the Game Director 17.8 will include the first stage of a total re-write of the PVP title system. With options that will be able to cater for all the PVP tastes as much as possible the new system will offer different ranking systems for different types of PVP.

There will be separate progression ranks for several different areas of PVP

?óÔé¼?ó Solo PVP
?óÔé¼?ó Team PVP
?óÔé¼?ó Dueling

Included will be a totally new system for duels so that players can challenge each other without outside interference.

Each section will have its own ten levels of available ranks that players will be able to work through.

There will be options available as to which of your PVP titles will be displayed with your characters name. (and don?óÔé¼Ôäót worry, your old title will still be available to display as a ?óÔé¼?£legacy title?óÔé¼Ôäó option)

New Social Clothing Mode

17.8 will contain a new social clothing mode for players. A new tab has been added to your equip window that allows you to equip any item purely for the visual effect (i.e. you wont get any stat bonuses from them, but will get to use the visual looks). There will be options that allow you to tell the game client whether to render your equipment tab, your social tab, or a combination of the two (in effect having the social tab ?óÔé¼?£overlay?óÔé¼Ôäó on top of your existing armor).

The tab also does have special rules regarding combat to ensure it can?óÔé¼Ôäót be abused to trick people in PVP, but we will go into more details on that closer to release of the update.

In addition following on from the shoulderpad options in the current update the 17.8 update will also include options for whether or not you wish to display your helmet or your characters head.

New Inspect Functionality

Another great new feature in 17.8 will be the option to inspect other players and see their equipment windows. There will be a link under the character info screen to launch the new inspect window.

You will be able to see all four inventory screens of the targeted player, including the new social tab.

New tooltip views

In addition to the new social clothing and inspect views we have also added a new tooltip options system that gives some item information when the mouse moves over the item without you having to click further to see the item description. The old ways of seeing item details will still be there as well of course, and players will be able to use which they prefer to use.

Link : click
Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Postby Nadab » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:10 pm

Wooooot...... now I don't have to take my armor off to run around in my spiffy Halloween boxers...... WHAT ???? skinny gray legs aren't in fashion ???? WTH...... well, at least I don't have to stuff a rolled-up sock in my pants like some peo *cough "Trox" cough* ple do.......
Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich
Corporal, Omni-Pol Field Ops
T-Sgt1C Omni-AF, 4th Fusiliers RST, retired

"If I'm the agent Shai-hulud, where's my 10% ?"
Roleplaying Profile of Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich
Nadab

Postby Koudman » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:25 pm

How rude! :shock:

At least, that's better than wearing nothing.
[img]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z25/cukats/204366c995e97edf79ebeadf74070504.gif[/img]
Koudman

Postby OTdude » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:56 am

This is sweet, however, it's like EverQuest 2, I've played it, has the option of "display helm or not" and the "see other players equipment" thingy.

But hey, dosn't really matter to me, this time i can actually see if the person has equipped what they say they have equipped.
OTdude

Postby Snakebite » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:40 am

I REALY don't like the idea of ppl just being able to see what equipment I have... Not sure why but I don't!
Maybe if someone could send a check request that you need to authorize, that would be ok...

& I like the idea of not having to take your armour & stuffz off to wear something nice, but the ability to NOT show a helmet that you are gaining stats for is vaguely stupid! Where's the reality in that??? (clothes over your armour isn't that bad...)

Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!
Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Postby Gimpeline » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:18 am

I agree completly. Looking forward to the new social tab, but the inspect thing..
Don't like that one at all.
The tricking into battle argument, If you are so gimped that you have to see every little detail of the others equipment to be sure that you don't loose your title, then don't fight
Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite
Omni-Mining
Leet Protection Agency
Gimpeline
LPA Founder

Postby Snakebite » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:42 pm

It's like...
Someone coming up to you in the street & opening your coat to check out what you've got on underneath... :shock:
I like my underwear unmolested... :evil:
At least by strangers anyway lol. :mrgreen:

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Postby Trgeorge » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:49 pm

:twisted:
Snakebite the Flasher wrote:I like my underwear unmolested... :evil:

That's why he usually leaves it at home, safely tucked away in drawer.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians
Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Postby Nyteshade » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:56 am

on AO's own forums I think I've seen 1 maybe 2 people who actually LIKE this idea. I've never played any MMO's before this one but I can tell you I'd never want this game to be like any other game I've played. Why? Because if I was playing a different game and it had features like another game I was playing, why wouldn't I just play the old game???

I can agree with snake's comments. It does feel like some sort of invasion of privacy. If I wanna wear rollerrat helmets on all my toons then dang it, I will!
Imprecation 220/20 Soldier Nursesin 220/22 Doctor
Nytedita 219/15 Adventurer Kimoko 220/15 Bureaucrat
Jenovasson 220/15 Enforcer
Yes we're recruiting! -=Power Overwhelming=- on RK2
Nyteshade

Postby Hahnsoo » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:16 am

I don't think it's as much of an invasion of privacy, seeing as it's a video game, and it is a standard implementation across multiple games. You'd think by 29481, there would be technology to see every single bit that someone is carrying. From orbit. Downloadable to your cybernetic brain. At the speed of light. :-P

Mark me as someone who loves this idea. There really aren't any secrets anymore as it is.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide
Hahnsoo

Postby Snakebite » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:28 pm

Trgeorge wrote::twisted:
Snakebite the Flasher wrote:I like my underwear unmolested... :evil:

That's why he usually leaves it at home, safely tucked away in drawer.

Now how in HELL would/could you know that???!!! :shock:

Hahnsoo wrote:I don't think it's as much of an invasion of privacy, seeing as it's a video game, and it is a standard implementation across multiple games. You'd think by 29481, there would be technology to see every single bit that someone is carrying. From orbit. Downloadable to your cybernetic brain. At the speed of light. :-P

Mark me as someone who loves this idea. There really aren't any secrets anymore as it is.

Yeah, but we're not just talking about the 'visual' bits, we're talking about the other hidden stuff too!
How many of you would want someone to be able to see thru your clothes??? (I really, really don't want this Thread flooded with all those ppl who WANT to BE ABLE to see thru clothes lol)

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Postby Hahnsoo » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:16 am

Snakebite wrote:Yeah, but we're not just talking about the 'visual' bits, we're talking about the other hidden stuff too!
How many of you would want someone to be able to see thru your clothes??? (I really, really don't want this Thread flooded with all those ppl who WANT to BE ABLE to see thru clothes lol)
Again, it's a video game. Other video games have this feature as standard (not just RPGs either). Besides, the ability to see objects through people's clothes already exists today (every time you go through an airport). It's even man-portable now. Someone could be seeing through your clothes this very minute.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Hahnsoo

Postby Uragon » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:38 am

You could just as well assume though that within the looong time, they'd develop counter measures for such intrusive scanning technologies. To be on the point though, I don't think it's such a great idea if it doesn't require the consent of the inspected person. But I think Silirrion already hinted that's what they might consider. Then it's fine with me.

I'd much rather appreciate it if Funcom spent the dev time to implement a "bag trade inspection" function while they're at it.
Uragon
AOU Community Legend

Postby Bailau » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:11 pm

I do not like the idea of this at all non matter how many other games have this feature. I feel it as an invasion of privacy to be honest.

If peaple want to know what i have on Ill tell them why should they have the right to "inspect" me?

Next thing you know Funcom will be giving our names and adresses away for paid points...
Bailau

Postby Hahnsoo » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:13 pm

Bailau wrote:I do not like the idea of this at all non matter how many other games have this feature. I feel it as an invasion of privacy to be honest.

If peaple want to know what i have on Ill tell them why should they have the right to "inspect" me?

Next thing you know Funcom will be giving our names and adresses away for paid points...
Slippery Slope fallacy? You cannot compare the ability to inspect in-game equipment on in-game characters to giving away personal information. What you do in-game is all done on the property of Funcom, and as such, they have a right to everything you do on their private servers. Personal real life information, however, is governed by federal legislatures, as well as corporate ethics.

The GMs in the game ALREADY can see everything you are wearing just by inspecting you. It's not like this is a new feature in the game. This isn't a true privacy issue, since you choose to play in public with other people on a game server... it's a comfort issue, and one that is not likely to affect gameplay at all, even at the highest level of PvP (since all of the PvP builds are known and recycled, essentially). If anything, it will make education easier for new players, and that's a step in the right direction.
Hahnsoo

Next

Return to News-Corner