Universal Gridfeed - What are we missing?!

Newsentries to be discussed

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Universal Gridfeed - What are we missing?!

Postby Ukblizzard » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:30 pm

Did you come to AOU to find something today and couldnt find it?

We want to know about it! Help us to improve the site and what we can provide for the community, contact us via our forums or contact form today!
Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Postby OTdude » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:01 pm

Ya, I have one thing that i think will help people.

Profession guides, i normally get on at school and it blocks forums.anarchy-online.com but not this site. And i rarely get on that site.

And maybe make it slightly better than that site, because they don't have guides for all professions. and i mean guides for everything, twinking, stating (so u wont be gimp, I've seen plenty of guides that made me gimp), and maybe the place you should go, based on your profession (of course, based on peoples opinions).

Maybe some of the new Quest Guides and best ways to find popular items (again, based on peoples opinions).
OTdude

Postby Ukblizzard » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:15 pm

Well we already have some professions guides, those we dont have are always welcomed should a member of the community want to submit anything.. or if any of our team start working on new ones.

As for the newer guides, can you be more specific please?
Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Postby Hahnsoo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:38 pm

I've seen plenty of guides that made me gimp)
Care to elaborate on which guides you are talking about and how you were made gimp? Perhaps start another thread on it. I'd love to see a critique of the guides out there, and what elements could be improved on them, as research for my own guide.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide
Hahnsoo

Postby Jaymonay » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:32 am

:idea:
I dunno about anyone else, but what i would love to see here is maps of all the SL zones with the statics labeled with approx mob levels, mob types, and the level of the boss.
It would take a bit of running around and research to get the info. but it would be awesome info to have.
Jaymonay

Postby Hygyeia » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:28 pm

The only guide i can see missing is Hollow Island
Hygyeia

Postby Phargus » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:43 pm

It might not be quite in line with the rest of the things on AOU, but it would be nice if you could host a torrent of an up to date large client. Currently patching up the large client available from anarchy-online.com takes hours...
Phargus

Postby Snakebite » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:08 pm

Phargus wrote:It might not be quite in line with the rest of the things on AOU, but it would be nice if you could host a torrent of an up to date large client. Currently patching up the large client available from anarchy-online.com takes hours...

Could you imagine the bandwidth involved in hosting that, it's probably beyond us...

Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!
Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Postby Uragon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:19 pm

Hosting a torrent and the associated Bittorrent server actually takes fairly little bandwidth. The biggest issues would really be getting Funcom's ok (legally) as well as their support (we can't build an updated installer ourselves).
Uragon
AOU Community Legend

Postby Trgeorge » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 pm

Biggest problem with torrent would be that we can't get patch any faster than any of you. So by the time we could put new one up, you can probably download it via patcher as well. If your suggestion is collection of torrents with all past patches for new players (or those that need to reinstall), we'll have to ask Khuri how much space&bandwidth is there.

As for rest of suggestions: we're slowly working on HI guide (collecting accurate, first hand info on Champion's drops). Sl static suggestion is interesting, but I don't belive anyone has planed anything in this direction. It would certanly take some time and effort. So while we won't dismiss it, it might not be our first priority.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians
Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Postby Phargus » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:09 pm

Well there wouldn't be any real need to build an installer. You'd just need a .rar of the ao folder (at least that works perfectly for me when transfering my ao install to another computer). But thinking it through I guess there would be several issues.

- Getting FCs premission
- Maintaining seeds for the torrent
- Security (Say if someone gained access to aou's servers and installed a keylogger)
Phargus

Postby OTdude » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:28 pm

Ukblizzard wrote:As for the newer guides, can you be more specific please?

well... what i mean is a guide on how to find Miy's armor, and possibly guides that come with the updates. I'm almost always seeing new quests to do when I read the stuff its updating.
OTdude

Postby OTdude » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:30 pm

Hahnsoo wrote:
I'd love to see a critique of the guides out there, and what elements could be improved on them, as research for my own guide.

Well, like the enforcer guide i seen on forums.anarchy-online.com and some others, i haven't used them in a very long time but the enforcer is the only one.

I'll post them when i get home... Only time I get on is at school because I'm normally playing AO when i get home.
OTdude

Postby Tepamina » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:33 am

I believe the enforcer guide found on the anarchy forums is the same one as here. Unless there's a new one on forums.
Tepamina

Postby Celedia » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:07 am

Cama Sanctuary quest :wink:
Celedia

Next

Return to News-Corner