Where is recipebot?

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:00 pm

CaptainZero wrote:Hi guys,

I noticed this thread, and I thought I would clarify things for you.

Just before recipebot went down, the guy running it announced that he would be closing it soon, and anyone who wanted the code could download it. I didnt get my hands on it until well after this, and yes, it was simply because I was sick of it being down.

So I gutted it, welded it to Budabot and put it back up as RecipeNET.

The guys from helpbot approached me and asked for the code, saying that they were the owners of the recipebot toon. (strange that they didnt have the code and need me to give it to them... why this was so still remains a mystery to me). I gave it to them and they put it back up, promising they would give me access to log in and update it.. but they stopped replying, and i stopped caring. Recipenet is still going, and i noticed recipebot goes up and down a lot. Well it did last time i checked. They didnt want me to run mine as a mirror/backup, because they said they have a backup system in place :S

Personally, i really dont care what they do, its not about glory, its about having a tool back again that we all know and love. Im running the bots on RK1 & RK2 from a dedicated server, and they are pretty solid, although occasionally one of the kids jumps on there and then .. uh oh no bots for a day or two until i notice them not working... oops. But I try my best to keep them running.

As for things missing and updates, i have added quite a few new recipes to it, and spent hours re-formatting all the recipes with nice little images and a hopefully-easier-to-read-and-follow new layout. I dont have much time to play AO any more, and so you wont be able to reach me in there as CaptainZero much. But you can occassionally reach me as Shavedwookie (my froob enf :P). Or even better come visit my new website. I'm building a little home for recipenet, and going to have a lot more info on different things in there too. You can vollunteer to help out with RecipeNET in there if you like :D
Thanks a lot man, it's players like you that make the AO community so great, no BS and no "ego ego ego" issues.
Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.

CaptainZero

Post by CaptainZero » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:30 am

awww thats really nice of you to say. I have to take the opportunity (without getting too mushy) to say that this website has for a long time been the first place I would look for any info or guides on AO, and without your website would have been stuck many times.

I just wanted the recipebot/net back so I could continue to use it. Such a handy in-game tool. The only way that I could trust it to be there when I needed it was to host it myself :P

As for your offer to host it, I'm not really sure about that just yet. I have lots of ideas flying around in my head of what i can do with it. Bottom line is that it needs a lot of updating, and your website has probably all the info needed to do that, so we probably should do something. Just need to think about it a bit more. If you like you can send me an email or a PM and we can discuss that kind of stuff more in there.

Thanks again for all the support guys. It means a lot to me :)

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:53 am

CaptainZero wrote:awww thats really nice of you to say. I have to take the opportunity (without getting too mushy) to say that this website has for a long time been the first place I would look for any info or guides on AO, and without your website would have been stuck many times.

I just wanted the recipebot/net back so I could continue to use it. Such a handy in-game tool. The only way that I could trust it to be there when I needed it was to host it myself :P

As for your offer to host it, I'm not really sure about that just yet. I have lots of ideas flying around in my head of what i can do with it. Bottom line is that it needs a lot of updating, and your website has probably all the info needed to do that, so we probably should do something. Just need to think about it a bit more. If you like you can send me an email or a PM and we can discuss that kind of stuff more in there.

Thanks again for all the support guys. It means a lot to me :)
One of our specialties is collaborating with other players =D
Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:10 am

Yeah, what he said, check the stuff we put in under the guides & stuff, about who wrote what & where it came from...

We were approched to host/takeover the helpbot, but that fell thru (someone else took it). But all is good...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

CaptainZero

Post by CaptainZero » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:53 pm

Hey again, just letting you know that I've finally sorted out a website for RecipeNET. You can find it here:

http://aorecipenet.com/

Also, I have a banner which if you can put into your rotation, would be so great. here it is:

[img]http://aorecipenet.com/images/vbanner.jpg[/img]

If you could make the link without the 'www' (like i have it here) that would be great too.

Oh and Snakebite, sorry i had to kill that other forum... but there is a new one up at the new location, and i'd be glad to have you on-board over there helping out, if you dont mind re-registering at the new forum.

Once again, thanks for all the encouragement, and hopefully I'll see some of you over at aorecipenet.com

8)

Scene
AOU Community Legend

Post by Scene » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:44 pm

thanks for that... uploaded to the banner rotation :)

CaptainZero

Post by CaptainZero » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:26 pm

awesome :) thanks

:D

Naturalistic

Post by Naturalistic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:37 am

As the owner and host of Helpbot, I'd just like to clear something up.
The guys from helpbot approached me and asked for the code, saying that they were the owners of the recipebot toon.
I haven't approached you about Recipenet nor asked you for any code. I do however want to know who it was claiming to own Helpbot. ;)

It's good to see people trying to help keep that type of bot alive though.

Recipebot has a lot of good use.

Iriche

Post by Iriche » Sun May 16, 2010 11:09 pm

Naturalistic wrote:As the owner and host of Helpbot, I'd just like to clear something up.
The guys from helpbot approached me and asked for the code, saying that they were the owners of the recipebot toon.
I haven't approached you about Recipenet nor asked you for any code. I do however want to know who it was claiming to own Helpbot. ;)

It's good to see people trying to help keep that type of bot alive though.

Recipebot has a lot of good use.
I wonder same thing as you Natu, as I remember we put it up, then the old owner came to IRC and said he wanted to run it again, then we gave him access to it and updates started coming.

Or do I remember wrong?

And yes, Here is the mail I got.

"Hi Iriche,

I was asked to contact you regarding remote connection to the recipebot database.
My ingame contact details are as follows:

Captainzero RK1
(I have many many alts all on RK1 :P - can give you a list if necessary)

I also created 1 toon on RK2, just so i could test the bot.. his name is: Captainzer0

email is admin@xxxxxxxx

I'm not really fussed on a username and password, but if it helps we could use:

xxxxxxx
xxxxxx

I'm really looking forward to getting Recipebot up-to-date and hopefully using images
to make it easier to read and more user-friendly. This bot has always been an
extremely handy tool for using in-game.. and as I am still an frequent player, having
it go missing was a tragedy. I just want to see it up permanently and include all the
new items and combinations that many players (myself included) are asking for.

Regards
Captainzero"
--
Iriche

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Mon May 17, 2010 1:39 am

Iri, let's just clear this up, please, since you're digging this up

Is this dispute over credits about who created recipebot (basicly who get's the credit) or over ownership?
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Iriche

Post by Iriche » Mon May 17, 2010 11:34 am

Trgeorge wrote:Iri, let's just clear this up, please, since you're digging this up

Is this dispute over credits about who created recipebot (basicly who get's the credit) or over ownership?
"The guys from helpbot approached me and asked for the code, saying that they were the owners of the recipebot toon. (strange that they didnt have the code and need me to give it to them... why this was so still remains a mystery to me). I gave it to them and they put it back up, promising they would give me access to log in and update it.. but they stopped replying, and i stopped caring. "

It is about that part, we added accounts and the bot was updated.
Since I have been one of them running helpbot and recipiebot while it stood on my server down at my parents place.

So my problem is that a post like this really is... disgradeful somehow after all everyone with helpbot have done. We gave him access to update and it got updated.

And as I said in last post as far as I know not me, Natu, Techboy, Vhab asked for the code to the bot.
What I know it was CaptainZero that one day came in on #helpbot on IRC and offered to help.
--
Iriche

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon May 17, 2010 5:29 pm

I'll poke captainzero about this thread, we could do with getting everything sorted out once and for all, cos I for one am completely confused lol.
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Beaexn
Recipebot

Post by Beaexn » Mon May 17, 2010 10:00 pm

Just to clarify the situation, this is a little bit of history on Recipebot:

One day there was the big bang, then a tree with apples and a snake, then Funcom and I made Recipebot from 0, alone. The reason for Recipebot was my little brother and his continual questions to me of "What's the use of this item".

Before Recipebot, I made an ingame tradeskill book with scripts ( http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showth ... =recipebot ).

In May 2006, I decided to stop playing AO because of money trouble and I wanted to make sure that I could share the resource with the community ( http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showth ... =recipebot ). It was at this time that I decided to give Recipebot to my friend Vhab from Helpbot's team.

From that moment, the Helpbot team took care of Recipebot.

In 2009 I came back to AO and saw Recipebot was outdated but that a very nice "clone" with pictures made by Captainzero was being used. (I believe that this was made from the code I gave earlier because of the same page numbers for the recipes).

On my return, I went back to the Helpbot team and offered to take care of Recipebot again. At this point I made the new 2009 version with new view options and lots of new recipes. While looking for new recipes I found the AOU web site and they offered me a partnership in order to share each others functionality and to allow us to work together.

Currently, all is good. Recipebot is hosted by the Helpbot team, and it is updated and run by Myself and soon with more updates to recipes and functions through my work with the AOU team.