The new layout

Got an idea for a site feature, a suggestion for an article, or spotted an error we made, feel free to post it here.
Guests can post here!
Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Post by Khuri » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:12 pm

ZoeF wrote:For instance when you click on Booster Packs ( in the knowledge section of the links ) You see several sections wich don't contain anything.
I just said that in my previous post :roll:
Guess i'll add that function later.
ZoeF wrote:look @ this guide why do you center images / info boxes ? It looks like everything is alignd left and than the images are middle ? Makes no sense 2 me
Uhh, this is styling-stuff. While the text goes over the whole page, it does make sense to center the images, giving them their own space. Instead of making them float somewhere on the side next to the text, let alone making them left-aligned and leaving the whole space next to them empty. Centering is a way better resolution.
But i'm sure out guide writers could explain the why and how of this design feature more. I'm just here to make sure the guides can be written :P

ZoeF

Post by ZoeF » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:36 am

what i meand is to align the image with the txt ( so the txt goes around the images )

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:14 am

Think of 2 hypotesis:
- Some of the text aligned with the picture are actually links. Let's say Improved Black Clan Heavy Tank Armor and Crude Upgrade Kit. First of all, what if there wouldn't be enough space left for "improved", that being longest word? It would space down to bottom of picture, making whole thing messy. Secondly, if there would be enough space for it, with tank armor link being 19 chars longer, you'd probably end up with one link on several more rows than the other.
- What if guide is image heavy? For example SoM one. In such case you might very well end up with all text being alligned next to pictures, maybe even pictures stretching well below text. Readers would have to battle themself over several rows just to read one sentence.

In most cases, pictures are there mostly just to visually help players and to make whole thing a bit more atractive/break the guide down to readable chunks. I'm sure coding text next to pictures couldn't be that hard (especially if you set standard size for pictures), but you shouldn't think about those guides as children's picture book. Think of them as a scientific manuals, while you have schematics in there, they are intendended for audience that could do without them.
Ofc some of pictures are actually important. So by centering all of them as well as breaking guides at relevant spots, we can draw attention to those and place them at proper spots.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

ZoeF

Post by ZoeF » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:24 am

Not to bitch about anything but that first part of your text i didn't understand anything you where saying there. But i guess i get your point. Now that you said that lemme ask this. Why is one picture ( not gonna be to correct here ) 200px high and 400px width and the other one 150px high and 300px width. I know sometimes there is no other way but pictures with " npc " in it should all be the same size. This is what people call continuity. And people like this. And when pictures of people are the same size you can easyly make txt flow around them.

But hey who am i ? I only make websites for several years for several games and so on. Lucky i normaly only do the layout and not the content.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:20 am

Pictures are not all the same size because almost all of them are cropped to make the best picture.
Also, some of these quest mobs & npcs fight back, getting them to hold still for photos isn't always possible...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

ZoeF

Post by ZoeF » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:52 pm

easy enough, thats what i call a lame excuse. You can easly take a picture from far above and slice a piece out of the screenshot. like 200px high and 100px width.

Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Post by Khuri » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:05 pm

How about more then 250 guides and 3.000 pictures? ...

Anyway, there's several (of the newer) guides where the pictures of NPCs etc. have the same sizes. As for making pictures from far above... i'm certain that ain't possible always either, at least not if you want to actually see the NPC in detail on such a picture.

Nadab

Post by Nadab » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:58 pm

Hello Zoef.... I see that you have dropped by and made some comments on this website... Now, I agree that you have a right to make comments but I feel that your tone is unwarranted, but hey.. maybe that just me!

Maybe you should just step back, take a breath and approach this from a different angle.... like:

"Hi, I'm Zoef. I do web programming for a living. Is there anything I CAN DO TO HELP make this site better?" instead of just lambasting the current efforts.

Try volunteering your actions, not just your mouth!
Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich********Corporal, Omni-Pol Field Ops**********T-Sgt1C Omni-AF, 4th Fusiliers RST, retired"If I'm the agent Shai-hulud, where's my 10% ?"Roleplaying Profile of Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

ZoeF

Post by ZoeF » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:00 pm

Hehe, hey nadab did you read everything ? Do you know everything ? I was once a part of the graphs crew. But as i can be completly honest i don't think that would have made any diffrence.

I wasn't the one who started to completly offend another person. I said what i tought ( as i always do ). And the makers of AO universe done a great job on all there guides YOU NEVER HEARD ME SAY " THESE GUIDES SUCK " did you ? But don't let me start about the graphics as i see some big mestakes i could start about and i would need 2 type 2 much.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:09 pm

I have unfortunately not kept up with threads regarding feedback, but as I was catching up this one caught my eye.

I'll be direct here.

ZoeF, I'm all for freedom of speech and I appreciate that you were at one time a member of the AOU Staff and contributed to the site.

However, if you ever disrespect any member of the AOU Staff again, you may not be welcomed into our forums.

There is a difference between giving us feedback, and being out right rude. I won't tolerate any disrespect to the team who has worked so hard to help the community through AOU.

That's it. I hope I made myself clear.
Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.