DOOOOM & Friends.

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Wolvenkrad

DOOOOM & Friends.

Post by Wolvenkrad » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:00 pm

This word probably means two things... First being the dreaded meaning of failure and death, Skeletor is a good example. Or perhaps it means the most kick-ass first-person shooter that was the grandfather of the genre, a masterpiece by Id and John Romero...

Recently I re-kindled the area of my brain reserved for Doom and also Hexen: Beyond Heretic which is Doom if it ever made out with dark fantasy, big burly warriors, demons, axes that light on fire... Yeah, that stuff. Finding Hexen was easy enough since it was released later than Doom II, though Doom II was a bit difficult, but I found it nonetheless. Since it was classified as a DOS game, became hard to play since most PC's run Vista and 7. So I went searching some more and stumbled onto GZDoom, an external engine that has OpenGL support and has a MUCH higher quality and speed on more recent systems, so playing Hexen again, not with pixels as everything, but full 3D and more brutality.

Then I found Brutal Doom, a modification (I don't even know how this guy's team managed to mod a DOS/95 game...) and it's a slug shooting, gut ripping, body perforating, blood gushing game. If you want to see a bit more, it's awesome, but I will warn you...

THIS MOD CONTAINS GRATUITOUS AMOUNTS OF BLOOD AND GORE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=samQ-Xxc1M4

There's some considerable amount of downloading to be done, namely GZDoom for the execution on later machines and OS's, Doom 95 for the actual thing, Brutal Doom if you want to complete your life and the re-mixed soundtrack which is entirely optional, but MIDI music will NOT satiate brutality.

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Re: DOOOOM & Friends.

Post by Silvana » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:49 pm

This is completely off the wall and random...

I'll ask that you find a reason to have posted it here, and how it connects to AO, or we'll have to remove it ;)

Wolvenkrad

Post by Wolvenkrad » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:43 pm

"General Discussion
AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc? this is the corner where you can hangout. "

Sorry if I mis-posted, I had no clue there was another thread for something like this besides here. I got no issues if it's gotta be moved/removed but that bolded text HAS to count for something eh? :(

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:18 pm

That should probably be worded a bit differently. Since few people use this forum, we try to keep everything in relation to AO in some way or another. You'd probably have a lot more luck getting attention to it if you posted it in Reet's Retreat on the official forum :)

This will end up being something for our forum moderator to make a final decision on though :)

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:35 pm

Wolvenkrad wrote:"General Discussion
AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc? this is the corner where you can hangout."
Well, that IS what it says, although noone really bothers with any other game here. We ARE 100% about AO, not other games and maybe we should reword that GD description, but for the moment, that's how it stands... lol.
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Reworded it right after, just slightly ;)

And it worked out. Wouldn't be fair to judge you on an oversight on our part. Just keep in mind for the future that it has been changed :top: