Are all daily mission boring ?

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

enlo

Re: Are all daily mission boring ?

Post by enlo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:19 am

I loved the "Distress Call" daily (where you rescue a citzen in a house from teh bad aliumz) but yes, most DMs get quite boring after doing them a few times.
What do you want, free xp which also makes fun? are you crazy? :twisted: :lol:

Llie
AOU Content Editor

Post by Llie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:21 pm

Enlo, you're making a slightly different point. While its true that for each level range, there isn't that much variety in the missions available to you, and in the case of:

Alien missions:

There are even fewer missions to choose from, and you tend to get the same mission over and over until you hit a new "daily mission level range" where you get a new mission added to the mix. But, yes, do these enough, and you will find that you're doing "Spaced-Out" or "Destroy the Cocoons" just about every day.

Elite missions:

For a given level range, there is often only one single elite mission to choose from, and these are possibly the least inspired of all the daily missions. There is really nothing elite about them, as they most often send you into a dungeon that you need to be fairly twinked or be in a team to complete.

But, in defense of the daily missions, in general, I've found that I've enjoyed just about all the daily missions (the first few times at least). It's impressive to see what the FC content devs managed to whip up using existing AO technology. The huge variety seen in Daily missions is a testament to creativity over the standard "find item", "return item", "find person", "kill person", and "repair" mission types that these are basically built on top of. I'll say that a few of these missions are a "cop out" in terms creativity, such as "The Hunt", but they are the minority.

Of course, if you are leveling several different alts through doing daily missions for all of them, you will end up seeing the missions over and over again. There is one thing to be aware of. If you are not a profession that can solo missions easily, you may be tempted to abandon/delete some of these missions. Instead, I've found that they are all completable one way or another (such as using calms in the Extraction mission to make the mission more survivable for gimpier professions).

Daily missions are not particularly fun from level 15-25 as you have incredibly slow run speed, you are sent off to who knows where to slowly work your way through the objective, but then again leveling from 15-25 goes pretty fast and one shouldn't need to "grind" daily missions to get through those levels.

It's a matter of outlook. If you get the same daily mission again, look through your profession's toolset and experiment. Most daily missions are quite forgiving, and you can restart them if you fail. If you approach AO with the attitude like, "aw, today's daily mission is going to be boring" then I guarantee you that it will be boring.

Yani

Post by Yani » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:16 pm

xaatxuun wrote:I decided to try out this daily mission. I get one to kill 5 Ermites . . I need to roam this area and if I see dust kick up set a decoy. then the ermite is supposed to appear, after 45 minutes the message always saying a shy ermite has popped up, and I see nothing, I deleted the mission. in tha time I could have leveled up just grinding mobs somewhere. :x

So I wanna know are all daily missions that boring ? no action, just running around like a chicken with it's head cut off :?
Are the time consuming part just running around, has nothing to do with difficulty ?

I gotta say, my first impression, they were not worth the time.
Now if what I got was a fluke and just got a bad one for being my first time doing dailies, I may give this a try again.
I just want to make sure before I try this again, it's not going to me just running around for hours doing nothing

You did it all wrong. Eremites from DM description are shy and they live underground - you can't see them with any level of perception.

Before this mission it is good to be prepared with knowledge:

1. TAB button selects next monster(even eremites) in vicinity
2. /follow command follows selected player and also monster. Make a macro of it.

When you drop the mission item in proper place, shown in vicinity, press the tab and next on follow and starting attack would be fine, too. ;)

DM are not boring - they are great addition to make great amount xp in short time - they can be routine if all you do is DM, but have you really tried playing game, by just non-stop boringly whacking monsters. DM is basically an XP gift - you gave up very fast...
There is another relatively easy DM, called Interception(for both sides), but some players initially are trying to kill the whole base... :D

The only missions I delete, are:
1. Spaced Out - my enfo can't survive at that high level. At low levels there is no point of trying, either, as you probaly already have received more AXP, than you need for your level.
2. Gathering items missions.
Like - recycling parts or cyborg parts(especially, that these items are UNIQUE and in case of cyborgs do notdrop that often and you need three of them or more, so this is challenge of boredomness comparable only to shoulderpad quest). If I have these items in my bank, then I give them, but killing cyborgs(boring brown) or low level wildlife is boring.
I do not like Gem mission - they are usually at low levels(I can level faster, than hunt for gems, that I could use, making profit). I think this mission allows high level players to hand in jewelry in low QL. Stock some low QL ones for future ;)
I assume, that to do these missions you have to be generally prepared beforehead. Keep 5 gems from Subway and that's all.
I had once mission to hand in carbonrich rocks - I have them couple of bags, so no problem.
3. Hunt, unless I have a higher level alt, as this mission really requires some help - either in proper equipment or from side. I remember killing Dyna mobs by myself sometimes even higher level until lvl100(sometimes it took 10 minutes of running, avoiding, constant surviving of keeping safe range and hitting from safe distance), then stopped. Very annoying is that Dynabosses are accompanied by minions and to kill dynaboss, you have to kill minions first. And if you happen to be low level, there is always chance, that there are other mobs of your level, who will join The Hunt on you...
4. Clear Graffiti missions - suicide mission, running among high level sided mobs, especially in 4 Holes. And it is hard to get to Bliss. And you will be PVP flagged, too. This actually is doable, if you can get on yalm, but without yalm, I just delete it.

enlo

Post by enlo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:38 pm

Yani wrote: 1. Spaced Out - my enfo can't survive at that high level. At low levels there is no point of trying, either, as you probaly already have received more AXP, than you need for your level.
actually, you can still do this quest and you gain AXP, you just cant see/use it until your lvl matches the minimum requirements.

Yani

Post by Yani » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:50 pm

enlo wrote:
Yani wrote: 1. Spaced Out - my enfo can't survive at that high level. At low levels there is no point of trying, either, as you probaly already have received more AXP, than you need for your level.
actually, you can still do this quest and you gain AXP, you just cant see/use it until your lvl matches the minimum requirements.
wow, good to know, because one of my alts is currently on hold and gaining AXP never hurts :)

Spaced out mission is the problem, when 1 Ensign attacks with additions. I gave up, after encountered 2 ensings. I usually try to kill monsters one by one... sometimes it involve running away, regaining health and so on, but Spaced Out mission is a bit cramped with my kill speed.

Llie
AOU Content Editor

Post by Llie » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:34 pm

enlo wrote:
I used to think this was true but I'm having my doubts. Before my acct was frozen, I was doing AI daily missions, and I would do them each time one more after reaching the top of my AXP bar. When I dinged the appropriate level, it looked like I had left over AXP for reaching my next AI level, but as soon as I zoned, the AXP bar dropped down to zero. Happened on both my shade and keeper.

As for Spaced Out: It's one of the harder missions, it's not that your Enfo can't survive *yet* It's that the mission is hard, and thanks to mission scaling, it only gets harder as you level up. I've found that the mission becomes survivable for gimpier toons by getting as many outside buffs as I could find. Most notably a Doc HP/Heal delta buff, Soldier RRFE, and sometimes also a Fixer NCU buff and HoT.

Spaced Out comes in 2 flavors. If there are aliens in the mission, you really only need to kill the warden. If that is the case, you can just try to stay either near the 2 NPC's and avoid all other aliens except for the ones that spawn next to the 2 NPCs (which thankfully, seem to always be medics and technicians) or near the center of the room where the warden will spawn. The drawback to staying in the middle of the room is having to deal with the aliens near the NPC when you get the strange bio stuff, but I've just traded it to the NPC's and ran back to the center of the room and zoned out even while being aggro'd by two aliens.

The other flavor is the cocoon version. This one is somewhat easier, as aliens spawn only when you kill/open a cocoon, but this presents its own challenges. Aliens that don't carry the item you need are pretty easy to kill, but if you accidentally kill/open a second cocoon due to poor tab-targetting you may find yourself overwhelmed, so turn off auto-attack, as all cocoons will attack you when you get near them and target with care. Secondly, because the room is filled with cocoons and any nearby cocoon will aggro you, if you do not have a humidity extractor or HoT running, you will not be able to use treatment kits at all for virtually the entire mission. Plan accordingly (bring stims, outside buffs, battle prepared kits, etc...). Finally, I had a vague recollection that the "right" cocoon can always be found diagonally opposite the 2 NPCs in the same location. It's been awhile and my memory isn't so clear now, but i think once you find which cocoon, you might be able to just pop open that one in the future and be done with the mission after 1 kill. Not sure about this but I remember looking forward to the cocoon version of spaced out because I was able to finish it very quickly.

Yani

Post by Yani » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:20 pm

I tried Spaced Out couple of times because "new game experience" > "resources/time" and died(most annoying thing is that you can't exit until the end of mission) and never even bothered try to enter again, because didn't know about cocoon version. Dying count is not an issue for me right now, but the result of AXP and levels. It is really insane to start AI missions with gimpy lvl150 froob... because all aliums are way much stronger and should be compared to orange or red RK mobs.

Therrito

Post by Therrito » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:26 am

Good point, enlo (enable system messages).
I forgot about that lol :?
Politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.

enlo

Post by enlo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:22 pm

Llie wrote:
enlo wrote:
Yani wrote: you can still do this quest and you gain AXP, you just cant see/use it until your lvl matches the minimum requirements.
I used to think this was true but I'm having my doubts.
hmm maybe you're right
I just hit lvl 35 and got one alien level and the bar is empty. I'm not sure I actually did a lot of alien missions on this char though, so I can't actually confirm it 100%

xaatxuun

Post by xaatxuun » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:40 am

OKay for the first time since my return, I got the DM "The Hunt", was wondering if it is my level + or can it ne a level or 5 lower ?

I seem to forgot how to play my characters so was playing my newbie Engi, and the pet attack a tower .. well so much for relearning with that alt :roll: , guess I'll see what I can do with my advy on "The Hunt"

ETA: okay you can kill dynas lower level then yourself, I forgot to check the level, but the dyna was lower level then me it was that light green just before yellow color, my Character was 67, then mob was around level 65 (According to the map)

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:12 pm

It would seem for 'The Hunt' that the higher level you are, the more latitude you get on the required dyna level.
For instance, at your level of 60, you may not get the update for a mob of level 54. But for your level of 100 you could get the update for a mob level of 85. (these numbers are arbatrary) But you get the idea...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

xaatxuun

Post by xaatxuun » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:29 pm

Snakebite wrote:It would seem for 'The Hunt' that the higher level you are, the more latitude you get on the required dyna level.
For instance, at your level of 60, you may not get the update for a mob of level 54. But for your level of 100 you could get the update for a mob level of 85. (these numbers are arbatrary) But you get the idea...
wow, so it may be looking at a %, to determine what counts and not a actually fixed number

Yeah I understand even more now, Thank you

Therrito

Post by Therrito » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:30 pm

I always get a Dyna slightly higher level than my toon and I dual log to take it out quickly.
Politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:38 pm

The obvious problem with this quest is that there's quite a gap of middle level dynas, added to the fact that people often kill all the dynas in a zone looking for phatz...

You can however kill ANY dyna that's higher than you, so if you can't find a suitable dyna and you know a 220, you could ask him to come trash any high lvl dyna while you're in team, you won't get the xp for the kill but you will get the mission upgrade and the quest xp.
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

enlo

Post by enlo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:41 am

ever done the jewellery quest?
thats the most boring quest if you ask me :(

it takes ages (and that without being a challenge) to get 5 gems/whatever, even when you go into the backyards and mow everything down like a berserker