Where is recipebot?

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

WisebutCruel

Where is recipebot?

Post by WisebutCruel » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:11 am

I thought when Vhab left, AOU was going to take over hosting the bot(s)?

Or does someone else have it and just being a jerk by keeping it offline instead of finding someone who will host it?

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:51 am

Sorry, but AOU were not given the bots to take over - although we did offer and would have very much liked to. So unfortunately, we have no idea on what difficulties there may be at the moment to cause it to be offiline.

WisebutCruel

Post by WisebutCruel » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:48 am

Okay, I was wondering what happened. Just wish whoever does have it would make it available for someone else to host.

Of course, it'd be even better if FC would stop relying on players to add fuctionality to the game and make first-party tools so we wouldn't have to worry about tools which have become pretty much indespensible disappearing.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Of course, it'd be even better if FC would stop relying on players to add fuctionality to the game and make first-party tools ...
Maybe so, but most of those who do contribute tools or sites like this one for example, do it because they want to give something back to the community. Even if FC did provide something, I firmly believe there would be those of us who would still provide either the same or similar to what we are doing now.

Sometimes its just nice to get a "users" perspective on things, instead of the companies perspective.

WisebutCruel

Post by WisebutCruel » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:35 pm

I agree, UKblizzard. I didn't mean to diminish the work done by those outside FC. Hell, if I knew how to program, I'd make another recipebot myself.

It's just frustrating to become dependent upon a tool over the course of years, to have it suddenly yanked away.:P

Maybe one of the other existing bot builders, or even someone new, will see the need and make another. If nothing else, add it in to the org bots.

WisebutCruel

Post by WisebutCruel » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:52 am

UPDATE:

Don't know if anyone has seen it yet, but Recipebot is back up. It is now called Recipenet. I don't know who's running it, but thank God it's back. XD

Edit:I found it posted by CaptainZero in a thread on the official forums.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:34 am

WisebutCruel wrote:UPDATE:

Don't know if anyone has seen it yet, but Recipebot is back up. It is now called Recipenet. I don't know who's running it, but thank God it's back. XD

Then it's not recipebot, looks like someone else got sick of it not being up !!! :D
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

WisebutCruel

Post by WisebutCruel » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:32 pm

Snakebite wrote:
WisebutCruel wrote:UPDATE:

Then it's not recipebot, looks like someone else got sick of it not being up !!! :D
Heh, true. At this point, I don't care if they call it the Betty Crocker Cookbook, long as it's back up and runnin'. :D

Nyteshade

Post by Nyteshade » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:57 am

I think recipebot is back up, I'm not sure if both are running at the same time but cheers either way :)
Imprecation 220/20 Soldier Nursesin 220/22 Doctor
Nytedita 219/15 Adventurer Kimoko 220/15 Bureaucrat
Jenovasson 220/15 Enforcer
Yes we're recruiting! -=Power Overwhelming=- on RK2

xaatxuun

Post by xaatxuun » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:52 pm

not sure if it was true or not, but in game I was told that Recipenet is recipebot back up, so if recipebot is down, then recipenet comes on. I noticed that recipebot is back, but recipenet is offline, but when recipebot is off line, then recipenet is on . . so it may be true what I was told

CaptainZero

Post by CaptainZero » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:21 am

Hi guys,

I noticed this thread, and I thought I would clarify things for you.

Just before recipebot went down, the guy running it announced that he would be closing it soon, and anyone who wanted the code could download it. I didnt get my hands on it until well after this, and yes, it was simply because I was sick of it being down.

So I gutted it, welded it to Budabot and put it back up as RecipeNET.

The guys from helpbot approached me and asked for the code, saying that they were the owners of the recipebot toon. (strange that they didnt have the code and need me to give it to them... why this was so still remains a mystery to me). I gave it to them and they put it back up, promising they would give me access to log in and update it.. but they stopped replying, and i stopped caring. Recipenet is still going, and i noticed recipebot goes up and down a lot. Well it did last time i checked. They didnt want me to run mine as a mirror/backup, because they said they have a backup system in place :S

Personally, i really dont care what they do, its not about glory, its about having a tool back again that we all know and love. Im running the bots on RK1 & RK2 from a dedicated server, and they are pretty solid, although occasionally one of the kids jumps on there and then .. uh oh no bots for a day or two until i notice them not working... oops. But I try my best to keep them running.

As for things missing and updates, i have added quite a few new recipes to it, and spent hours re-formatting all the recipes with nice little images and a hopefully-easier-to-read-and-follow new layout. I dont have much time to play AO any more, and so you wont be able to reach me in there as CaptainZero much. But you can occassionally reach me as Shavedwookie (my froob enf :P). Or even better come visit my new website. I'm building a little home for recipenet, and going to have a lot more info on different things in there too. You can vollunteer to help out with RecipeNET in there if you like :D

Scene
AOU Community Legend

Post by Scene » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:01 pm

good to hear you're keeping your bot going despite all the drama :D

how would you like a rotation and links banner to the recipenet pages of your site once its all up and running. It might help promo RecipeNET abit more :)

CaptainZero

Post by CaptainZero » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:21 pm

Sounds great :D

That would be a huge help and very much appreciated. I'll let you know when I'm a bit more ready.

Also, I could put a banner on my site for you guys :D

Thanks mate :)

Scene
AOU Community Legend

Post by Scene » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:38 pm

more than welcome :D

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:34 pm

CaptainZero wrote:The guys from helpbot approached me and asked for the code, saying that they were the owners of the recipebot toon.
CaptainZero wrote:(strange that they didnt have the code and need me to give it to them... why this was so still remains a mystery to me).
They may be the owners of the character, but weren't the owners of the bot as far as I know, which is why they didn't have the code, I'd have personaly told them to go ask the owner...
CaptainZero wrote:Im running the bots on RK1 & RK2 from a dedicated server, and they are pretty solid, although occasionally one of the kids jumps on there and then .. uh oh no bots for a day or two until i notice them not working... oops. But I try my best to keep them running.
This is completely off the wall & would need to be talked about with the higher ups (I'm just the forums mod), but would you like for us to host recipenet, advertise it on this site & point to yours & give you FULL access to it? (no kids to trash the servers here I believe ^^ lol)
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!